Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

The long ones.

2. OldColt

OldColt

I bet it has extension tubes between the injectors and the flared tubes to get them up to where the hood scoop air comes in. NOW, I'd like to know if there are any foot wide "pre-test" black marks on Gene's driveway? --- Steve ---

3. You are correct,,helps with the top end I am told. HRP

4. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

great video!!! glad to have been a part of the restoration!!
    God Bless tomorrow

5. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

Getting excited!!! Drive up to my dads in fountain inn today. Does anyone know what time the gates open??

6. TUCKERBOY

TUCKERBOY

Flyer on Greer dragway site has gates open at 11 am, I'm sure it's going to be packed out !

7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

All the HAMB members be sure to run me down and introduce your self. I'm going to be busy with all that's going on but I want to take time to meet every one of you and thank you personal for all the support on here and I'm sure Gene feels the same way. ~Quain~

8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Gates open at 11 the unveiling of the moonlighter will be after the first round of Gasser qualifying around 1:30 to 2 o:clock

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

I hope that there will be camera's and video camera's rolling all day so that us that cannot be there to share in the excitement can see what we missed.

3 Cheers to Quain-Melvin and Gene!

10. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

Sounds Awesome!!!

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Congratulations to all on a job well done. It's been fun to follow along to this point, hope to see some pics from tomorrow. Thanks again, Quain, for starting this thread for all of us to see, and thanks to you also Gene, for allowing it to happen at all. :D

12. Chipper

Chipper

Again, thanks to all for making the return of the Moonlighter possible. This thread has been something that I have looked forward to at least once a day since Quain started it. Thanks to Gene for allowing the restoration of a large piece of Drag racing history especially in the South.

God Bless Gene, Melvin, Quain, Gene's wife and all that had a part in making tomorrow possible.

13. My 16 year old granddaughter is going to see her first drag race tomorrow.

How ironic that she will witness the same man that many local young guys did back in the day,,, Gene Cromer driving The Moonlighter,,just as I did when I was 16 years old.:) HRP

14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

wow! congrats guys! you all did it! really hope everybody gets to see this car in person.

15. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Gene and another old school local drag racer Butch "Lil' Cotton Picker" Pruitt.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    Lots of old stories going back and forth.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    Gene's daughter Julie shinin' up the aluminum.
    [​IMG][/URL]
    Dennis Glenn did a fantastic job on the interior.
    [​IMG][/URL]

16. Not even a color change on those white headers after the fire up. Were those powder coated ?

17. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Rustoleum VHT rattle can.

18. Must get some for my Henry J, I used the white bbq paint they sell but it burned off.
    Good luck tomorrow !

19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks again for all the kind words on here. As I have said before this project would have taking a lot longer without the help in the end from all of Genes local friends. You car guys know that the last 10% of any project is 90% of the effort. Gene and I would never had it finished in time for this big day with out there help. A think you list has been made from one of the original door panels from the moonlighter it will be on display with the car tomorrow and every where it goes I hope we didn't leave anybody out if we did let us know. Words can't describe how excited I'm going to be tomorrow to see my childhood HERO back at the same dragstrip where I watched him race over 40 years ago.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

They were coated thanks to Genes daughter Julie and her husband Larry Graves.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  21. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

My bad, I thought VHT paint was used.

22. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The long stacks help bottom end short is for more top end, the same way header tube length works.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  23. catdad49

catdad49

Hope everybody has a great day, especially the Moonlighter crew. From southern Miss., Good Luck,Carp

24. OldColt

OldColt

This is the face of a very happy and blessed man (Gene I'm referring to here). 80 years old, still kicking and sharp as a tack. He still has his loving wife of I'm guessing about 60 years. His daughters, his side man and one of his old racing buddy's are there with him. Last, but not least, his beloved old gal "The Moonlighter" beautifully restored is there with him. It just don't get much better than that. --- Steve ---

25. Steve,,today is Lamar's birthday( Genes brother) and Sunday is Gene & Ruth Cromer 62 Anniversary,,,Genes Mother turned 100 Thursday.

Nice people you will never met,,,Congratulations all around. HRP

26. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Well Quain... now that the Moonlighter is finished, I guess you'll be starting on Lil' Cotton Picker now with Butch Pruitt... lol

27. That is some pretty big milestones...Congratulations to all

28. OldColt

OldColt

100 year old mom 'eh. Gene obviously has some good genes (Pun Intended). Live long and prosper, and put a few more on the trailer for us Gene. --- Steve ---

29. catdad49

catdad49

Any pics of the Little Cotton Picker? The one I remember(if my memory serves me correctly) was a Dodge Dart wagon(?) but more of an early funny car than a gasser. I'm guessing that there was more than one version, but that's the one that I saw in an old mag. Thanks for the posts guys!

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm almost sorry to see the Moonlighter finished, as I've enjoyed following this rebirth so much! Congratualtions to Gene and everyone involved in it's rebirth! It looks and sounds as good as any gasser could! Wish I could be there for the unveiling!