Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Sorry Quain I didn't see you post.

2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

It was in the willys

3. OldColt

OldColt

Geez, this spare parts motor is enough to make many of us Ford performance fans envious already. When Gene builds his "good" motor, it should be a force to be reckoned with. Go Gene ... Go Moonlighter !! --- Steve ---

4. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

When Gene builds his "good" motor, it will also be a spare parts motor. He has some serious spare parts, the American Pickers would go bat shit crazy in Gene's shop.

5. 32 hudson

32 hudson

I hope some one can post a video of motor fire up In Genes shop.

6. Here is the picture of the tunnel port 2 x4 intake cut down with hilborn injection mated to it. Shows Gene's talent as as a machinist and engine builder

Some of the good stuff
    [​IMG]

Mtn Goat and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. FoMoCoMoFo

FoMoCoMoFo
    from WY

Didn't I see cammer heads mocked up in a photo further up? Or is that a secret... :D

Coolest thread on the HAMB!

8. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Willy41, Now that is a very good historical shot of the parts that were run on the Moonlighter. I sure wish I could be there to here Gene make another run in his Willys !

Dave :eek:

9. jrlcraft1

jrlcraft1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  10. jrlcraft1

jrlcraft1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AMSOIL Dominator Racing Oil 100% Synthetic SAE 15W-50 and AMSOIL Engine Assembly Lube is a great combination! If you would like to know more about the AMSOIL products that Gene is running just get in contact with Lee Craft (864-760-8512) or visit www.amsoil.com and use referral number 5178860

11. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Like I said, "Gene has some serious spare parts." I think everyone wants the Moonlighter to have a cammer again, I know I do. I haven't heard Gene say for sure, but a cammer would be a good motor.
    BTW, I almost got in one of the pictures. Thanks for posting these pics of the engine going together, I didn't have my camera.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  12. Gene told me that he plans on building the cammer engine but trying to get the car running by the big day later this month there wasn't going to be enough time. HRP

13. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

Any idea when we'll be able to order the tee-shirts from Gene's website?

14. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Sorry to hear that. I was hoping to have a Moonlighter T-shirt to wear to Greer. The other person said they hoped to have some at Greer.

15. OldColt

OldColt

I'll let Gene correct me if I'm wrong. The Cammer definitely beats the wedge motor in the "wow factor" department. All other things being equal, I suspect the wedge would produce a little more horsepower with today’s racing gasoline, compression ratios, and valve lifts. The Cammer with its large hemi chambers might well win out using slower burning alcohol and nitro fuels, or a supercharged motor needing a lower compression ratio.
    --- Steve ---

16. Saturday on our trip back from Georgia we had the pleasure to stop and visit with Gene and his lovely wife and family. I have to tell you everything that has been said of them is true and more.
    Gene was retiring from a long day in the shop, but opened the doors for a visit. Pictures that have been posted are nice but seeing this first hand is a breath taking thing of beauty. The craftsmanship is believable.

The thing I noticed was Gene's shop. All the equipment spotless and covered with plastic. First impression you knew quality work was done here. Floor was spotless and everything had a place. We were privileged to see Genes used parts collection. Trust me , Ford guys would love to have his pile of old parts.

We spent some time talking, my only regret it could have not been longer. Super nice guy that I think was quite a character in his younger days. When we talked about racing he told me he had no trouble back then putting the chevys on the trailer. That was said with a twinkle in his eye and a little grin of pride. You can understand why everyone wants to help him. His wife Ruth is a very sweet lady. You could tell when she talked ,the passion for Gene and the moonlighter was just as strong the second time around.
    I will try to post some pictures later if Gene don't mind a picture of just some old parts as he called them.
    Thanks Gene

Mtn Goat likes this.
  17. my1971buick

my1971buick

Hey there,
    I will be meeting my screen printer tomorrow in Atlanta to discuss the exact date when I will be getting them. My designs will be at Greer May 25th for sure for sale but any one not being able to attend can order them through me by email at [email protected]. I have already have answered several emails from people interested in my shirt designs and I will notify all of you on here and by email if they will be available before the show. Gene will get all moneys from the shirts and I will handle my sales and be selling them at the show along with posters from my artwork. (I can post those images later for you guys) Just wanted to clear any confusion .
    willy 41, Im so glad you and your family had the chance to meet Gene and his wife! They are so sweet and its truly a blessing to have them here. He is so humble and so proud/appreciative of all the support to get this car back together in tip top shape! If yall can you need to be at the show the 25th it will be a real treat!.
    Thanks
    Cassandra

18. It is about a 9 hr drive one way but we are thinking about it. I will e-mail you about shirts thanks.

19. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

Do you know what the price of the shirts (2X) will be?

20. my1971buick

my1971buick

Genes wife Ruth is a ball of fire, she is so cute and funny. Last time I went to Genes he showed me the title for the car, that was cool.
    Im sure we will have lots of awesome pictures from the show for those of you that cant make it. I hope to keep the shirts right at $20 I just have to do all the painful math tomorrow with Greg in Atlanta, I understood that xxl would be only $1 more but I need to confirm tomorrow. :D Most of my orders so far have inquired about xxl shirts so I will order more L xl and xxl than the other sizes. Thanks
    Cassandra

21. Frank, The reason I didn't post pictures or name parts I did not want Gene to get flooded with treasure hunters hounding him during the build.

Mtn Goat likes this.
  22. Gene... sent you a message I have your parts and will get them in the mail.
    Ed

Mtn Goat likes this.
  23. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Wonderful to see Gene today working on the Engine... Pistons in and ready for the heads...
    Car is fantastic! I watched this car spank the competition in 1968 at Ware Shoals Drag Strip... that is the only car I remember from the day at the track!

24. OldColt

OldColt

I see the engine is coming along nicely. How's the rest of Moonlighter coming along?
    --- Steve ---

25. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I don't know about ya'll but I think this is the best pic of the whole thread Gene Cromer then and now.[​IMG]

26. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

Quain that is a few good pics of Gene

Trouble

27. It's come full circle. Almost like this was planned 40 years ago.

28. OldColt

OldColt

Yep, the wrist pin goes in just like 40 years ago. Thanks for the pic's Quain.

29. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I know he's in the same shop and Ill bet the piston is in the same vice.

Mtn Goat likes this.
  30. fordcpe

fordcpe

Gene does the wife know that you have her nice clean green bath towel out in the shop.I laugh ever time I see the green towel.Get them pistons in and hide the dirty towel before the wife finds out.Darrell