Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gene Chan T Bucket

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CoronetRTguy, Jun 11, 2013.

1. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Hey guys I'm still looking around and just waiting. I have my build idea just no cash as of right now. I'm coming down to the wire with class so once I'm done I hope to be back to work.

I also had a big big problem just happen that took the rest of my car money I had saved. I had a water leak at a condo I own and rent out and it has turned into a bigger problem with mold and more water leaks. I lost my renter and my insurance company is in a fight with the Home Owners Association and their insurance as well as the other condo owners above me and their insurance companies.

The Home Owners Association said they repaired a lot of water pipes (quest pipes) and did somethings and had it all inspected. Well everything they said they did and took money for after removing our walls we have found out they did not do this and it is turning into a fraud case. That reminds me a lawyer also took my car money lol.

I'm in a big big mess right now with no renter and no sign of this being done anytime soon.

This is one of the reasons I have not been around as much as of late and I'm still set on doing a T Bucket and Gene's Bucket is one of my inspirations along with many others past and present and on the HAMB.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, real life comes first. We'll keep the lights on for ya.

3. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thank you and I have not given up on my Bucket build and idea. It is still fresh in my head and I'm still reading. I'm using the time I have between class and really getting an idea of what I want.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I can relate. When I was building mine, sometimes the money for parts just wasn't doable. So, I spent a LOT of time planning things and learning how stuff went together. I always tell people, I've built 5 T Buckets all in my head.

I haven't been able to drive mine because I'm having a new motor built. Since I'm using some of the parts off my old engine, we had to pull it and take her out of commission. But, she'll be badder and faster when it's all said and done.

Stay loose.

5. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thanks Fred will do man! What motor you building? The guy here with the 273 called me the other week it was the day that all this just happened and I couldn't pick it up. I was bummed because it would have been a great motor.

6. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I have not forgotten about this thread or this Bucket it is burned in my head. I have bee kept busy with class and my final exam and I also have my first novel being released at the end of the month or first of December.

7. Jamesob

Jamesob
    from Exeter ca

i saw vince at the family xmas party the other day and he told me he was digging more photos out. so, pretty soon i should be posting more up.

8. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Very cool I can't wait to see them! Did he say anymore about the bucket?

9. Haven't checked in to this thread in a while but I was thinking about it while driving by the courthouse today so I stopped and took few photos, just for S & G. Hope you guys don't mind that the car is an A not a T. :p

[​IMG]

BTW, I do remember that Corvette. My buddy who knew Gene had a '68 convertible that also had a custom front on it, no where near as nice though.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Beautiful looking A, saw a nice looking one on Craigslist in NC for 4K that is a two door I have my eye on. I also found a 27 Tall T locally that I'm watching both cars have been listed for a while. If they are there by spring one of them may just come home with me.

I love the Tall T's can't wait to build.

11. Jamesob

Jamesob
    from Exeter ca

Just missed out on one of those. A buddy purchased a 30 Tudor and a 30 sports coupe. He sold the sedan but I did pick up the sports coupe. I'll try and put some pics of the interior I'm doing on a 29 roadster too. Still haven't heard from Vince.

12. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

No problem and look forward to seeing the pics!

I keep checking to see if this 27 Tall T is still for sale and its going on a year or more now. The last I talked to the guy he wont budge on price, not stock car and not sure if it will sale or not. I like to get it and make my hot rod dreams a reality.

13. 5962668199

from visalia

Yes I very much remember seeing the cool looking Tbucket parked in front of Chan's Market in Farmersville in the 70's. Gene was super cool and I had the opportunity to know him quite well. We worked alot on our Corvettes. Here we are leaving my parent's place and getting ready to hit the road on our bikes. Gene on his 1980 Honda 750 F and me on my 1972 H2 Kawasaki 750 triple. Thanks to mom for taking the pic!

Attached Files:

14. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thanks for sharing the picture and the memory if you have more of either to share please do. Gene seems to have been a head of his time with building cars and from what I can tell a very well liked person, both he and his family.

15. Jamesob

Jamesob
    from Exeter ca

vince came by the other day and gave me some pics of genes 58 vette and his first vette a 57. weve had problems with our computer at work so i havent scanned the pics, but i will here in the next few days.

16. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Can't wait to see them. Gene's Bucket is by far my favorite Bucket from back in the day I think. Something about it is just burned into my brain.

17. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Checking back in to see if anymore information on Genes T has been found?

I just had my building budget blown away by spending five days in the hospital. I'm starting to think the car gods do not want me in their club.

I had to come back to this thread to get my head back in the game. It's fourth and long.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. hotrod.heaven

hotrod.heaven

Chrysler hemi, more than likely a ford 3 speed stick , and a banjo rear.

19. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I was watching a youtube video the other day and saw a guy with a stick in a T and I keep trying to get a good shot of it or another T on the inside to see all the pedals. How do you get the room?

I also saw a guy that looked to be shifting a T from the middle (between his legs) while driving.

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, the easy way to do it in my opinion would be to weld a tube through the rails for a common cross shaft to hang both pedals on. The clutch pedal would be on the outside of the rails and would actuate a small cylinder and slave cylinder, and the brake would sit in board the rails and actuate it's master cylinder as normal. If kept clean and lubed, the cross shaft could be bonked an inch and a half or so either way to remove either or both pedals with the body one the car. The hydraulic clutch would make the pedal effort easier than a mechanical would, and you'd need it to use it in a small car like that. Been thinking about this a bunch lately with my 'Bucket's auto trans on the fritz...

21. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Louvers if you do it post some pics. I'm a visual guy but I think I get what you are saying. Would it be a tight fit to work the pedals with your feet?

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Absolutely! That's the biggest reason manual transmissioned T-Buckets aren't very common.

23. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I think I have seen one on a YouTube video but not up close shots of the car.

I have a question on a top. What do you do with the top if you put it on and go driving and then you want to drive with it down. Does it just lay back or is it something if you want to drive without a top you leave it at home?

24. Jamesob

Jamesob
    from Exeter ca

Its been a while but i thought i would give an update on genes brother vincent. Vincent passed away on thursday around 2:30pm. He had spent the last month in the hospital dealing with some problems that they havent figured out. Gene was my dads best friend and when he passed vincent took his place. We were close to finishing vincents t c-cab but he will never get to drive it. There should be lots of hot rods at the funeral just like he would want it. He will be missed especially at my family xmas party when he would take hundreds of pictures.

25. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Jamesob, sorry to hear of Vincent's passing. Gene and Vincent were both great hot rod guys and builders. Please feel free to post pictures and memories of both Gene and Vincent in the thread. This applies to everyone. Gene's bucket inspired me to build one. I hope to some day very soon do just that.

Vincent and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Jamesob you and your family will be in my too.

26. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

It was a sad day, when Vince Chan passed. My cousin Ruben (Local Pinstriper) that did a lot of work for Gene and Vince. He called me that day he passed away in the hospital. The funeral was last Friday and the church was packed family & friends, the parking lot was packed with hot rods too. One of the local funeral homes has a classic Cadillac Hearse that carried Vince's Casket away for one last cruise. I was fortunate to get up and speak at his memorial and share a couple of stories of Vince and Gene. Vince was a great guy, and not seeing at a local car show or swap meet will be really different. He loved cars, and was so close to getting his C-Cab T finished!
    I will miss him, and the local car community will miss his smile and friendship! I attached some pictures of Vince. The first one is with "Pork Chop" he worked for Larry Watson, Pork Chop rubbed out Larry's Paint jobs for several years. The next one is Vince next to Watson's Custom Casket, and the last on with My Cousin Ruben, and Steve Stanford (Artist Illustrator). RIP Vince!

Attached Files:

mctim64 likes this.
  27. Jamesob

Jamesob
    from Exeter ca

I was there and you shared some good stuff. He was very close to finishing the c cab. A couple of days before he died he called my dad and told him that him and i were back on the payroll to finish the ccab. I laughed and said i didnt know that i was getting paid for what i did to it so far. If you seen it, im the one that modified the frame, mounted the motor and set up the steering. My dad has been pretty tore up about it. The day before vince died he went and seen him in the hospital and vince scribbled on a piece of paper "take me home". My dad is not emotional but that messed him up a little. My aunt patsy is also heartbroken. He will be missed greatly.