Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gene Chan T Bucket

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CoronetRTguy, Jun 11, 2013.

1. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Hey everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone remembers Gene Chan's T Bucket? If so do you have any info on it?

I wonder if it is still around? I have done a google search and one of the sites said that he built it at the age of sixteen and it is one of my favorite Buckets.

If anyone has more pictures of it please post them up and also if you have info on it please feel free to post that as well.

I would love to know what all was used on this bucket from the motor, trans, wheels and the color of it.

Thanks everyone.

[​IMG]

EVL401 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Wow...that thing is badass...alot of neat ideas on that...and alot of detail...I wonder if those wheels are gold plated ?!? Maybe just painted? They sure are shiny..

3. Just From the picture I see a Chrysler Hemi 392 or 354 cu.in. would be my guess. Six two barrel carbs, likely Strombergs. Reversed Ford rims.

It's a well done car, I understand your fascination with it. The exhaust pipes plugged and connected to one under the car is very subtle.

4. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I was wondering that too. The wheels look really nice with that color combo. Man if they were gold plated that would have been a really big cost.

Can lacquer paint shine like that? I know or I think you can no longer get lacquer paint.

I wonder if powder coating could mimic that?

I really love this Bucket.

5. Man that sucker is cool!

6. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thanks and I keep looking at the motor, Can you see if it reads Chrysler Fire Power or Red Ram?

Tell me about Strombergs?

The only time that I can think of six two barrel cars is with the GTO and later on in 1969 with the 69 1/2 Super Bee and Roadrunner.

7. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Does anyone know if there are more pictures of this car? Also what year was it in I think Hot Rod Magazine?

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It was in Hot Rod in '64 or '65, and Car Craft a bit later. I can check my collection when I have some time. The color Photo was from the inside color in the Hot Rod feature, as they only had 1 page of color from '62 through most of the sixties. Yes, the paint was lacquer, I'm sure, as I'm not aware of anybody mixing candies in enamel at that time which couldn't have been rubbed anyway. Where on earth did you get the idea that Lacquer didn't shine? If memory serves the plating was brass on this car and not gold. As far as stance and wheelbase, you couldn't pick a much better T-Bucket with a turtle deck to steal dimensions from.

EVL401 likes this.
  9. 2racer

2racer

searched Bing, found a blog with this:

"Visalia, California, student Gene Chan finds relaxation from studies by driving Chrysler powered '23 T roadster. 331 cubic inch engine is equipped with Isky cam, Edelbrock eight-carb manifold and Spaulding ignition. Paint is candy burgundy. Model T poop deck has louvered lid and '59 Cadillac taillights mounted in tunneled corners. Rear end is flaked '51 Merc."

Hot Rod Magazine - May 1964.

10. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Old Gene must have been like 4'11", maybe 90 lbs, to fit in that car so well. Wonder why that car doesn't come up more often, sure was sharp.

11. Don't I look the fool? Yup I see eight now too. As for the Strombergs I hesitate to guess any further. Someone will have to confirm that's what they are. It could have after market fuel injection for all I know.

12. b-bob

b-bob

I remember admiring that car when i saw that feature in the magazine. Was different than the normal 'bucket.

13. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Louvers you're right man I miss spoke on lacquer. My dad always said you could a great paint job with lacquer and make it shine. i was thinking more along the lines of the wheels they are really really shinny.

Also thanks if you find the years and month of magazines I will start my search for them. Is there any other good places beside ebay to find magazines?

Tell me how he got that stance? I agree it is perfect.

Thanks you for that info 2racer! So he used an early 331 Hemi? I couldnt tell if the paint was purple, rose or what it was but I like that color. I was wondering if the bumpers were painted or dipped in gold or brass. What maker back in the day had an engine painted close to this color?

He does fit into it well. I would love to see inside the car and how the seats were done. Yeah in my search I have only found two photos of the car and I wonder why it doesnt come up more. Very very sharp looking Bucket.

I didn't catch that it had eight on it either and no one is ever a fool man you gave me some info and I thank you for that. It got the ball rolling on this thread.

Thanks everyone and keep the info coming.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Looking at the carbs I see "Scott" tops, so they would be 97s. As far as how he is sitting in the car, yes, if he is constructed anything like MY Chan, (her name is Judy) he is probably on the shorter side. But that doesn't mean that you can't set up the seating in a T-Bucket to accommodate someone taller. Most of these guys that claim to sit on top of T-Buckets are either extremely tall,(like 6'4" and above) or very round, or have sat in the typical '70s T-bucket seating arrangement. by dropping your seating way down instead of the typical 8" riser, 2") and thinning out the backrest foam you can sit down in these cars snuggly and comfortably. As far as stance, look at your other thread for some pictures of the last one I started to throw together for me and you'll see where I like them to sit.

15. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I think I have those pictures saved but if not I'm going to save them. He looks to be sitting lower into the car. I thought about bomber type seats but the more I think about those the more I lean to making my own seats or beanch seat and make it down low.

Yeah I do not want a 70s T at all. I never liked them as a kid and the ones I saw in my area looked more like the 50s and 60s. I did see a few with the wider wheels and sitting high in my area but I never liked it.

I'm like 5' 10" and 150lbs I think I may be ok in the bucket. I really can't wait to get started on this build. I really can't wait to be done with school and back to work.

Oh while I'm on it I was and I am still thinking about that 47 Caddy as a parts car for like the rear, wheels, breaks, steering colum and motor and trans.

What do you think?

This Bucket is the one I keep going back to and dreaming about.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You've got the fever. I've had it for over 35 years and I'm not looking to be cured.:D Keep doing your research. It'll save you money, when it comes time to build.

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

This might not be the most popular answer on the H.A.M.B., but I really would advise you to stay with a simple small block Chevy/t.h.350 combo along with an S10 or some such rear end geared somewhere around 3:00 or so. Putting together your first hot rod is trying enough without purposely going out of your way to handicap yourself with off the wall stuff. A small block Chev is perfectly traditional, works, fits and anyone can help sort it out at any time. The Caddy you are talking about was never a popular hot rod engine, there are very little in the way of speed part available for it and will probably at the least need a full rebuild. Plus it weight just shy of what a typical T-Bucket should weigh all up! Oh, the rear end is gonna be too wide too. Keep it simple young grasshopper...

18. I remember Him, from my home town. Everyone knew his name.

19. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

That eight carb log manifold is most likely an Edelbrock..I think they were the only ones that made those...super rare...love the chromed expanded metal dash that is over some kind of white base...really neat...headlights seem really high too...very unusual!

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No, it cant. Thats why prior to base/clear coming out in the eighties, all hot rods were primer...;)

Sorry, just couldn't help myself. I have the Hot Rod article, pretty sure I have Car Craft as well. Once my daughter goes to sleep, I'll dig up what I can and post it.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Weiand WC-8, and Offy sold one under the Pacesetter line as well. I really dig the dash as well. Note the size of the headlights, hard to tell in that photo, but looking at the buckets, probably 5 3/4" Harley Davidson. Really common to run a headlight around 6" on T's at that time.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Had to look up the Edelbrock, it was EC-8.

24. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I was going to ask about those headlights I really like the looks of them. I like them standing tall too. I wish I could see the front end of the car and get a good over all picture and feel for it.

How hard is it to find a set-up like that today with a Chevy, Ford or Mopar motor?

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Manifolds of that sort are out there for Chevy small blocks, but there are many many other variations for them too. Two four barrels is still a visually exciting way to go, tons cheaper and easier to tune. That's why I keep pointing you at small block Chevy stuff. It's plentiful AND cheap, plus it's traditional!

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

27. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I'm really thinking you are right on motor of choice and rear end of choice. The sad part is in my area 350/350 combo's are high everyone thinks they are gold. I did find a running 70 Jag with a 350/350 in it for 900 obo that I have been tempted to call about.

I will keep looking around to see if I can find those parts. I'm a Mopar guy and I can live with a Chevy combo lol. I'm building this to have fun nothing less and nothing more. I said it once and I will say it again I'm tired of the show field and worrying over the OEM paint and parts. I want to drive it and enjoy it.

Do you know if he is still around and if the Bucket is too? Also have any info on the car? Thanks mctime64.

I really dig the dash too. I really love the straight across look of the dash. So far the only two bodies I've seen with that are from Speedway or RPM. I guess I could rework the dash in a Spirit body or do something crazy of my own with fiber glass.

28. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Hey sounds good and thanks! I can't wait for the info on it.

29. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thank you! Louvers to bad we dont live in the same area. I would bug you all day long lol.

There was a 283 running motor here on Craigslist still in a truck the guy is taking it out to put a big block in.

Whats your thoughts on those? He wanted 400 obo.

I think I found what I missed a lot from the car world not just the people, cars but also the parts chase.

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Don't forget, Fords are easy to find and use also. Don't limit yourself. And a 283 SBC is a good motor.

Are you a member at Tbucketeers.com? If not, join. There's a guy there named "Rockin' T". We used to chat with each other and he put a Mopar in his T bucket. I think a 440. He'd be able to help, if you want to go Mopar. Looking at your screen name, I think you'd like that.