Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gen 1 SBC to Mopar A833 4 speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Scott

Scott

Im in the inspiration and planning stages of a build. I currently have a should runSBC and Im rebuilding an A833 4speed from a 65 Barracuda
    I would like to mate the engine and trans either with a bell to engine adapter or preferably
    a trans to bell adapter. Clutch linkage is not an issue, ill be doing a hydraulic master/slave setup.
    If anyone has done this adaptation, let me know. Id really like to make this work
    Thank you as always to all you HAMBERS

2. cornfield county

cornfield county
    from Indiana

If I remember right there used to be a steel scattershield bellhousing that would mate the two, but required cutting the long input of the 833 down to Chevy length. Can't remember who made them.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

4. Chevy used the NP833/NP440 from 1981-87 in certain pickups with two different bell housings- one has the Mopar style bolt pattern like the A833. They are hard to find, but not impossible. I'm actually looking for the linkage and shifter/mount for my NP833 :D

5. Scott

Scott

6. At one time the A833 was a popular upgrade for a lot of racers .
    Very strong transmission ,,,iron case and strong gears .

Tommy

stillrunners likes this.
  7. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

They were used behind the 6.2 liter diesel so those are the pickups to look for.

stillrunners likes this.