Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gearhead Heaven, 1925

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Abomination

Abomination

Shorpy is a photo blog of really old pictures. Here's one I recently found here:
    http://www.shorpy.com/node/4068

I thought I'd post if for fun - and if you're anything like me, you'll likely notice a LOT of stuff that's in your hand-me-down toolboxes. Crap, man... I didn't know some of that stuff was that old! It works just like it did in 1925! :)

On a Mac you can hold the control key down and use the scroll wheel on your mouse to blow the picture up and scroll around. I believe the same deal works in Vista and XP in IE 6 & 7, but may only magnify the text only. To turn on Microsoft Magnifier (which turns the cursor into a magnifying glass) follow these directions:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/accessibility/magnifierturnon.mspx

It really comes in handy for magnifying pics like this any time you see 'em to bring out the details. With it, you can actually pick out friends in car show pics! Or you can look at pics of old junk yards and say, "Hey - nice '59 Cadillac in the back," and folks will think you have real good eyes. :D

Remember, the below is a smaller image - you'll have to click the Shorpy link above to see the "View Full-Sized" link. It's huge!

~Jason

[​IMG]

Those of you logged into The Garage Journal should be able to see this additional image:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. Abomination

Abomination

It was titled:

Washington, D.C., circa 1925. "Standard Automotive Supply Co., 14th & S streets N.W." National Photo Company Collection glass negative.

One of the guys comments that:

"Been There, Done That
    Submitted by Raymond on Wed, 09/03/2008 - 1:07pm.
    This reminds me of where I had my first real "paying" job. I am old enough (or the store was) that all this is so very familiar. Of course, I grew up in a "shop" or garage that used all this stuff. BTW, the #251 gasket fits an 8BA Ford flathead V8. Great pics."

He's referring to the gaskets on the right, by number. How many can you guys identify? :D

Check out the other IDs at the link I posted above the pic (where I found it).

~Jason

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  3. Abomination

Abomination

BTTT for the weekenders!

4. Abomination

Abomination

5. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

how can a gasket in the pic circa 1925 fit a 8ba flathead?

6. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

but cool pic and site anyhow

7. orphaneddie

orphaneddie

cool pics indeed

8. Abomination

Abomination

Exactly!

That's why I posted that little anomaly. ;)

~Jason