Register now to get rid of these ads!

GEARHEAD ENTERPRISES in Iowa...Beware!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Monster Bob, May 29, 2008.

1. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I suspect most ebayers leave good feedback upon initial inspection that parts were packed decent and a quick glance.

After the realization sets in that they bought crap, feedback's already been done.

2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Bingo!

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Sorry about your problem ! :mad: It's getting worst ever day out there with all kinds of places doing the same thing and getting away with it . Unless legal action takes place then they keep doing the same thing . Anyone can set up a web site that looks great and has everything at great prices but any computer geek can do that for you ! Same with an ad in a magazine . You pay the price and the magazine will print the ad !
    It's really sad that someone would keep ripping off people with a mans hard earned money like that but they don't care about you , just you hard earned $$$$$ !

As the old saying goes , if it's sounds to good to be true ...well you know the rest of that damn story !

Stick with the ones that have been around for a long time . their prices might seem to be higher but they stand behind their products and give great service too . Yes just about everything you buy is from overseas but you can still get good quality USA made parts if you look hard enough .

4. A Boner

A Boner

I really get upset when someone gets ripped off, and then someone comes along and says just the opposite, BUT I have always felt like I got a good deal from them (Gearhead Enterprises). I think it might be like Speedway, in that MOST of their stuff is O.K., you just have to know which parts are up to your standards, and which aren't.

This week I received some Uni-steer U-joints from them....they look great, and the price was very good, and I got them in 3 days!

5. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

Same here

6. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

They are a dealer for our products at Flaming River, but do carry everyones favorite brand (Hoffman) as a cheap alternative. They are one of the few dealers that do have brand name stuff and cheap line stuff and they will sell it all cheaper and move more than anyone just because they are happy making a lot of $5 dollar profit sales then waiting for the $20's if that make sense.

7. I think that's the outfit I got my motor mounts through. Looked like good quality to me, Chassis Engineering instructions in the box. They marked it shipped a few days before it actually left, though.

8. I had bought a finned pcv/breather combo from these guys. Bought them on monday received them here in Cali on thursday. One of the previous posts somebody mentioned about them having one shipper. I noticed that on the phone and he kept asking (how do I put this guy on hold) Well besides all that I know these are made over seas and you get what you pay for. I just couldnt find anyone that sells a round finned breather with talls fins. So I settled for these oval ones and the were well priced. I dont have a whole lot of bad to say about them just about being on hold and I dont get an invoice at all? Thats pretty strange.

9. No invoice means no way to prove you were ripped off !!

10. Exactly! Pretty shady....Well after these breathers I think I will be done with them.

11. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

let me tell my story : my search for brake pedals for a model a w/hydralics led me to this guy...so i sends him the postal money order to pay for all of it....2 months go by... i send him certified copy of the postal, along with complaint to postal inspector. i get back copy of cashed m/o with his bank info on it... so i find his bank info and call them... hes got several accounts with them but couldnot help me.... by now another 5-6 weeks have passed . i find the guys phone number, then i call him... told him my deal and asked why he ripped me off....he says he dont rip nobody off.... well look into it then i says....hung up.... got investigation report from postal inspection about item not recieved... man what service ....sighned the form and sent it back in.... now mysteriously a package arrives at my back door... no shipper identification, or any letter explaining the delay( been over 9 months now)... open up the package ..theres my pedal assy .. good as i ordered...i found out the guy has SEVERAL parts places and if you look all with gearhead enterprises on final addresses... ebay was where i found this guy ..hes got several names with them,all with feedback in the thousands... i believe ebay is in on it...who by the way was useless in helping... of course... never get hung up with paypal either , they are not your pal...ive left remarks as to thier buisiness practices..gearhead enterprises.......out of nebraska.......NEVER BUY FROM THIS PLACE..........always use the postal money orders... the best you can get, plus postal inspector carries some clout...look it up see what i mean....good luck out there, and be very carefull where your money goes ... if at all possible BUY AMERICAN

12. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

confooshish say: man with rick shaw no nothing bout race cars , and street rods... besides if deal goes bad you can always stop by and kick the living shit out of him......AMERICA BOUGHT <BUILT >< and driven.....................................k

13. kevin mac

kevin mac
    from toledo,oh

this guy gotta read more of our stories.....

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

For many years manufacturers in Taiwan and China have been shipping goods into the US and having their own people fly in to swap meets, rent a car, pick up merch at the airport or UPS or FEDEX depot, head out to the swap meets with a couple of card tables in the trunk and set up. Bad thing is they were often selling parts of second or third quality from those they were also making for other legitimate US parts vendors. Business ethics in these countries are much different from here in the USA.
    They find easy targets in the growing hobby business of older cars and even cycles too. So many owners of old cars are newbies that don't know their parts or how to judge quality of components and can't resist the way lower prices than market retails here.
    So I'm guessing they have recruited from the ranks of born in America scumbags to make it even easier to take advantage of newcomers to the old car hobby, or were these guys Orientals and nobody is willing to say for fear of being a racist?

15. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

After reading the horror stories I feel so guilty for getting such good deals on Lokar with gearhead. I mean they where 10% less then the other sellers or my American autowire kit I bought for about 12% less then everyone else. And let me not forget about the quick shipping I received after paying with paypal.

Its about research, you have to know what you are buying. Your credit card is your friend. If I have ever had a problem buying with a credit card, I only had to make one call.

16. carryallman

carryallman

hi guys /i thought i already posted something about this company ! STAY AWAY -IM FROM IOWA .THEY ARE FROM AROUND THE CEDAR FALLS /HUDSON ,WATERLOO AREA have several friends from that area and they say the guys know nothing ,are white trash, and them folks living there would not buy from them!!!!!! i bought a pedal assembly for a 36 chevy from them w/ understanding if i dont like or it dont fit rite, i coulD return ! YA RIGHT on examining it it would not fit ,cylinder was junk.pedaLl was sticking to cross shaft /looked like it had been around the world /before i got it ! tried to return /they said all sales final /so i called american express /they first said we will ck it out /then with in a few minutes they returned my call and said they had lots of complaints from that business /so my account was restored with the purchase price plus shipping /the dead beats never even asked for it returned /i threw it away SO BEEEEWWAARREEE

17. krooser

krooser

18. Anthelion

Anthelion
    from Iowa

I'm sorry, are you saying that we are conspiring with eBay? That's absurd. Also we generally don't deal in crap, but you get what you pay for.

19. FNG, first post to defend year old comments on a post about an iffy vendor?

If anything it supports the idea that the shipping is slow if it took you a full year to find this post and respond to it.

20. slammed

slammed

Mister, are you part of that group of peddler's? You come on this site without reading the rules? I can contact the States Attorney and begin to investigate your business practices.

21. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Your rep precedes you.:eek:

22. Frankie's

Frankie's

Thanks everyone for letting me know the other business names they are listed under.
    I'm having problems with Gearhead Enterprises through Ebay.
    Not very nice people to deal with if you have a problem.
    The person would not return emails, so after a week, Ebay gave me a full refund.
    Now Gearhead Enterprises is calling foul.
    Never buy from them again.
    "When things go wrong, a thief always cries FOUL the loudest"

23. Frankie's

Frankie's

Did you ever go to their web site ?
    Look under Gearhead Enterprises contact info. No address shown. When you buy something, there is no return address on the package. A little bit shady.
    Too bad they give Iowa a bad rap.

24. wicarnut

wicarnut

Just curious, I have bought ALOT of car parts/hot rod parts/ race parts for over 50 years now, very few are manufactured here in the USA anymore. Have purchased a few items that I did not feel were of acceptable quality and did not have any problems with returns and refunds from the venders mentioned here, or any other venders, but I always pay with a credit card and just a call to your card company will start the process to get your money back, only had to do this in the last 40 years a handful of times. Agree the quality has slipped, BUT there has always been a problem In My Opinion, anybody that plays with cars has a machinist, fabricator, bodyshop buddy in their friend circle to make it all happen. When we were young we went to junkyards and purchased used parts that always fit and worked or went to the dealership and paid dearly.

25. SMACK73

SMACK73

So I know a lot of people have had less than great luck with them, but I bought a set of open box lakester headers from them at the Springfield Mo swap meet. I wasnt ready to use them until a few weeks ago. When I got them off my shelf I noticed that the caps and 1 gasket were missing. I sent an email to customer service and got a reply within a couple days. The guy asked for my address and said he would make it right. I received my caps and gaskets in the mail this week. I am satisfied with the service I got. Knowing that I didnt buy Patriots or other $400+ headers I dont expect the quality to be top notch, but these will do for my build, and they did make it right.