Register now to get rid of these ads!

gear vendor overdrive anybody running these

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scooter, Jun 24, 2005.

1. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

Just curious if anybody on here is running a gearvendor over drive unit on thier car ? Can you give a testimonial ? Besides the big bucks you have to shell out any problems or you lovin it ?
    Seems like the best of both worlds to me .May just be a bit too high buck for me too at 2,300 for the c6 kit .Thanks for the feedback on this .

2. MilesM

MilesM

I have one in the COE behind a HD truck T400 with an Allison bolt together converter. They do not have an external cooler and only hold a little lube. The lube has been pretty burned up on the last couple changes. I do not know how often they recommend for lube change but I started doing it more often after I saw how bad it was at the first change. I push it's capacity limit though.

I would like to swap the whole thing out for an L480E or one of the new 5 speed autos (L580E?). Now that is cost prohibitive!
    Miles

3. RF

RF

You must really push it! They're good for 70,000+ miles between fluid changes. Why don't you run an auxillary cooler?

Scooter, I've got one behind the Turbo 350 in my truck. I don't think I'll ever do a four-speed overdrive again. I put in the new 6-speed Sequential control system, which is pretty damn cool. The price of the units is more than a typical overdrive tranny swap, but my honest (non-mag biased) opinion is that they're worth it by far.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Got a friend with one in his 3500 Chevrolet dually. He wants a newer 3500.and I want the OD out of his......

Trying to work a deal.........the GM employee discount has him looking at a new one.....

5. RF

RF

If you get it, Gear Vendors can sell you just the tailhousing adapter for whatever tranny you want to put it behind...get it! They install really easily (like an hour or so) and you just need to get your driveshaft shortened a bit.

6. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

I know the overdrive gearvendor turns your 3 speed into a 6 speed , if i am reading thier site correct .Looks like on those long freeway runs you could really save some gas w/ better milage too .The main factor i was debating this was the price .But this also sounds like it has a tons of positives on its side .Besides, getting those rpms down will mean longer motor life .What about the drivablity and ease of use ? I mean is the unit bolt in, and set it and forget it .Or do you have to do some button pushing and extra shifting .THANKS RF ! And you could do the write up on the build if i get a big ole magazine discount :DcomeON talk ta foose or any of those shows :rolleyes:i am broke:p.Thanks again fer the feedback on this one .

7. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

norm grabowski uses one in his old snap-on tool truck that he hauls the kookie II in.
    a 454 with a th400.

WORKS GREAT!

8. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

SCOOT ,I can tell whatever you want to know about a gear vender unit.I run one in my coupe call me home 973 402 1349 shop 973 627 6110 m-f.

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Yes, I know that BUT the cool thing is..he has a Turbo 400.........and so do I :D :D

Direct bolt up...........sounds like a plan......

10. crashhaley

crashhaley
    from san deigo

I have one in a 96 ford, And i like it alot.

11. gowjobs

gowjobs

The concensus in the RV industry is that the US Gear unit is a better choice for heavier vehicles. Autos and light trucks should be find with the Gear vendors unit, but if you're doing a lot of towing, or it's a bigger vehicle, you might take a look at the competitors.

Dave