Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods gear lube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, May 25, 2021.

1. silent rick

silent rick

i handled a couple of axles last night. i wiped my hands with an orange scented wet shop towel that comes in a bucket. washed my hands with soap and water when i got in the house. used a couple of those clorox bleach wet wipes. washed my hands with dawn dish soap. did my dishes. took a shower. washed my hands a few more times. i can still smell the gear lube today at work.

RICH B, blowby, Elcohaulic and 4 others like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

give it a week....

3. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Sorry Rick but squirrel is right. Made me laugh out loud.

4. silent rick

silent rick

stay tuned, i'm degreasing some hemi parts tonight. using gunk foaming engine spray. tomorrow my hands won't smell like gear lube.

Just Gary likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

give it a week....

Tman, alanp561, juan motime and 4 others like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Last weekend I disassembled an ancient banjo rearend, and washed a few of the parts off in kerosene. Then I did some domestic chores, washing siding on the house with a bleach mixture. It's Tuesday and I can still smell the combo of whale-blubber-based gear lube, kerosene, and bleach on my hands.

Tman and stillrunners like this.
  7. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Try some Eau de toilette. I couldn't help it

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I've found that if you pee on your hands.... oh never mind!

da34guy, loudbang and Happydaze like this.
  9. silent rick

silent rick

deja vu

Chavezk21 likes this.
  10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

11. alchemy

alchemy

Evidently Squirrel thinks it might take two weeks.

12. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Coupla shots of Jimmy Beam applied directly to the.......just kidding don’t waste those shots! Drink ‘em...lol.

13. modagger

modagger

Both at the same time? :rolleyes:

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Old gear lube is the worst, I think only skunk pee will get rid of the smell.

15. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Better gear lube than diesel ...

Chavezk21 likes this.
  16. wicarnut

wicarnut

A little pricey Amsoil gear lube, $18.00/qt. today, a synthetic. Many moons ago dizzy track racing we used it the quick change rear of my Midgets and Sprint cars, great product, never saw wear on ring and pinion or change gears after I started using it AND the Biggest Positive, did not stink like regular gear oil. Squirrel is right, takes awhile to get rid of that smell. Short story on that stink, one of my crackerjack helpers put a set of oily gears/rag in the back of my custom van (tow vehicle) under stuff that somebody had borrowed and returned after trailer compartments were locked, I was at beer stand or payoff line, he forgot to tell me. Only an hour and 1/2 ride home, next morning unlock van and the stink about knocked you over, found them and cleaned carpet area several times, ended up taking van to a pro detailer and we still had the little Christmas tree thing hanging on mirror and laying on floor, van smelled like Christmas for a year. That was the point in time that I tried Amsoil gear lube, ended up the local dealer/sales sponsored us, just had to put a small sticker on the car. I have a small solvent tank, fresh solvent is really hard in your skin, brake clean also works again tough on skin, try goop, then dawn dish soap, then regular soap and I use aloe vera gel on hands, any hand cream will help, works for me to clean my hands these days to remove the dirt and the "Stink"

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  17. silent rick

silent rick

reminds me of a story. my mom needed a ride to church one sunday morning. the night before i got, you know, lucky(with a girl even). even with leaving the windows rolled down, the whole car stank of fuck sauce the next morning. she didn't say anything but i knew she knew.

SS327, Tman, stillrunners and 7 others like this.
  18. jaracer

jaracer

If you think gear oil is bad, try burned up gear oil. Or burned ATF from a cooked transmission. My dad worked in a radiator shop for 2 or 3 years. That smell hangs on also.

bobss396, VANDENPLAS and wicarnut like this.
  19. Personally I love the smell 80 gear oil!! It reminds me of working on race cars!

20. Fordors

Fordors

Rick strikes me as a down to earth hot rodder but he gets extra points for being a wordsmith. Thanks for the laugh :D

21. Great new product out now. Rubber gloves.

Chief 64, jimmy six, alanp561 and 5 others like this.
  22. silent rick

silent rick

i half expected squirrel to respond with another "give it a week"

23. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I will second the Amsoil gear lube. It works exceptionally well and if used in a rebuilt box/diff it wont stink. Sulfur I think.

jimmy six, Joe Travers and wicarnut like this.
  24. wicarnut

wicarnut

Lucky (with a girl even,) May I dare ask what else would you get lucky with ? LOL

Tman and VANDENPLAS like this.
  25. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

80W90 smells like $$$$$ :D
    Burned 80W90 smells like more $$$$$ :D:D

stillrunners and VANDENPLAS like this.
  26. After returning home from the Army I had a high mileage 57 Pontiac. It leaked, had blow-by and burned oil and I was a broke mo fo. In an attempt to keep that thing operational [only car I had] I topped off the crankcase with 90 wt gear lube, Holy shit! The blowby coming through holes in the firewall was sickening. Last time I did that.

27. Never!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  28. If you guys think car gear oil smells bad, drain the final drive on a 1940 Farmall. Talk about putrid!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. My gramps had this old home remedy - Cut open a large chilli pepper, then rub it on your hands. Then rub your eyes and go for a whiz. You will find the smell of your hands will disappear completely.

SS327, da34guy, mountainman2 and 5 others like this.

30. This reminds me of my cousin Emilio ( rest his soul).
    He was the greatest partier and animated storyteller of all time.

Anyways, at a friends stag party years ago and there was this stripper who thought she was all that and a bunch more.
    Well long story short she sits on Emilios lap and stuff his hand into her clamp. Well ‘Mill being ‘Mill yanks his hand out n sniff it and proclaims

OH MY GAWD IT SMELLS LIKE DIESEL !!!!:D

And went around the party going “ bro, bro smell my fingers it smells like the diesel from the truck stop on Dixie !!!!!

hahahaha that’s a memory from a looooooooon time ago thanks for that !!!