Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gear drives for old engines?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56vicky430, Nov 13, 2010.

1. 56vicky430

56vicky430
    from Kentucky

I love the whine of a gear drive timing set. I'd love to have one for my old lincoln engine. Does anyone know which companies I could contact who would do small orders for obscure engines?

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

In the dark ages people used another crank gear, bought bearings and made their own.

3. 69fury

69fury

i've heard the dual idler "noisy" ones are the same as quiet ones but have a little extra slop in the axle to let the idles get a little funky/loud.....

find a competent machinist, preferably an old school guy that knows his shit....

-rick

4. 56vicky430

56vicky430
    from Kentucky

I wish I more info on how to pull it off.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Look at a Donavn or such gear drive and do the same thing using another crank gear for the idler. Drill and tap some holes in your block face to mount it. When you have it where you want it for cam timing and with the same backlash recomended for a store biught part, drill and ream for two dowels.