Register now to get rid of these ads!

? Gear Drive and the Ford 302/5.0 Question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 76ltd, Nov 27, 2003.

1. 76ltd

76ltd

Anybody have any experiance puttinng a Speedway geardrive in a 302 Ford?I can't get the front cover to fit back on.I cut the tab off went between the gears on the chain setup but cover still the pins on the idler gears. It lacks 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch meeting up to the block. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. 76ltd

76ltd

Anyone....Help.....This Edsel needs a heartbeat. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. silent rick

silent rick

don't know how much help this is but there are two different gear drives. one for roller blocks and one for non-roller. are you sure you're using the right one and the right cover for the block you have.

i have a roller block with a edelbrock gear drive. i had to remove the tab you speak of and through several trial fits, i had to grind a few thousands out of the cover to get the proper end play.

4. 76ltd

76ltd

Well the motor is a roller 5.0 but I also have cover for a 302 and the only difference we can see is the fuel pump hole and the dip stick hole. Both covers seem to fit the same with the tab removed. [​IMG]

5. I had trouble when I replaced my timing cover on my 351W with a 5.0 cover and I had the same type of interference problem you mentioned...I too ground out the chain slap tab inside the cover but in the end, found out that it was the original fuel pump eccentric that was causing the problem. Don't know if this could be your problem with a roller cam engine w/ gear drive, but thought I'd mention it just the same.

6. Another thought. You might try giving Comp Cams a call. I seem to recall some reference to this problem in there catalog.

7. 76ltd

76ltd

Thanks Fatstang.
    This ole 5.0/ 302 thing has been a real learning experience for us. Ford changed the block just enough to cause trouble. All the people we know are chevy guys or older ford guys who always thought they were the same but we found out real fast that they are just enuogh different that some part will interchange and some won't. [​IMG]

Thanks again
    Keep it coming guys.

8. 76ltd

76ltd

These pins are [​IMG] the problem.

Attached Files: