Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Gavin's 1941 Special Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gavin_Ivey, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

I've been on the HAMB for a few years now, mainly just browsing and being inspired. There is truly some amazing talent on here and the information here is priceless. That said, I finally bought a 41 Special Deluxe project car back in March. I'm working out of a single car garage, so it makes it a major PIA. I rented a storage unit to put parts in until I need them.

I found the car on Craigslist for $2,800. Drove the 60 miles to check it out and was blown away by the condition and couldn't believe it had been on there for a few weeks and hasn't sold! It was a complete car with very little rust, as you will see in the pictures. Every single piece was there. What wasn't bolted on was in a box. Even have the historical document where it was purchased in 1976. I probably could have repaired some frayed wires, slapped a 6v battery in it and fired it right up. All said and done, I picked it up for $2,000. SCORE!

Making the trip home
    [​IMG]

It didn't take up quite as much room in the garage as I thought it would
    [​IMG]

Original plate
    [​IMG]

The clock and speedo still work!
    [​IMG]

The original 216. I'm going with a small block, so this one is available if anyone is looking.
    [​IMG]

Progress pics in next post.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  2. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Front end off and coolant (that was still green!) drained.
    [​IMG]

Have to replace inner/outer rockers and cowl on both sides
    [​IMG]

Interior stripped
    [​IMG]

Passenger rocker cut out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have to replace the cowls. Someone has been in here before!
    [​IMG]

Not going with the moulding around the windows. Welded up the holes and shaved and welded the drip rail
    [​IMG]

I'm going to get the car blasted inside and out. Stripping down what I can to see what rust I have and how much sheet metal work needs to be done.
    [​IMG]

Passenger door stripped and ready for welding
    [​IMG]

Welded and ready for grinding.
    [​IMG]

Passenger fender. Someone beat the hell outta this thing! My body man will have some fun haha.
    [​IMG]

This is where I'm at as of today. Will be doing a 3" front 4" rear chop. After that is done, I will take it to the blaster and see what other rusty holes pop up.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  3. jimbo121

jimbo121

Cool. What kind of look are you going for?

4. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

This is my inspiration. I saw the car on a thread here somewhere. Not sure who owns it, but I love the look of it!

Attached Files:

5. jimbo121

jimbo121

Damn. Thats a cool looking car! Looks like you have a good shell to start with.

6. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Yeah, I think it looks cool too! I was checking out some of the "classy" styled rides last night and started to have second thoughts on what I was going for haha. This being my first build, I'm going to stick with my original plan. I'll try to take it to another level on my next build haha.

7. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

8. Looks like a great start

I like getting in early on build threads, that way I can let the owner know if they've been slackin' too long.

Keep posting!

9. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Lol, I'm sure there will be plenty of times when i need a kick in the butt to get motivated.

10. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Wow thats a really really cool car. I hope you follow this path!!

11. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Thanks! I'm planning on sticking to this, with my own little style to it. Can't copy someone 100%! Haha.

12. I love this car! It'd be great to see a car in this style down here! I haven't seen many down here like this-best of luck on your build!

13. farmer12

farmer12

Great buy, watching this build for sure!

14. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Thanks a lot! When I'm done, I will definitely be driving it around to some events.

15. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

I've been keeping up with yours too! Love the sinister look you have going on! Your car really really makes me want running boards and is really making me consider fabbing up a set. Keep up the great work! I know it has to be an entirely different challenge with your location.

16. Nice project. You got a good deal!! Keep the pics comin!

17. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Gavin! Running boards are a definite must. A "different challenge" is a slight understatement, at times, frustrating is the word.:eek: Keep up the awesome work!

18. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

sweet.........good work

19. TT66'

TT66'

Nice Chevy! I have a 41' Master deluxe under construction. My floor is in great shape and looks like the rockers are about the same shape. How's the rear fenders? Mine are beat up.:(

Please post plenty of pics I'm subscribed!

20. Orn

Orn

Nice project. I will follow this one.

21. Voh

Voh

before that motor goes anywhere, pay attention to the numbers on the title, the motor number and that tag on the passenger floor. Some seemed to be titled off that serial tag, others of the motor number.

22. TT66'

TT66'

All I had left on mine was the firewall tag. Everything else was gone since it had been sitting since 56'.

A few years ago I had the dreaded task of jumping thru hoops of fire to dodging poison darts at the bmv and police inspections in order to get a new VIN# and title. Now they probably just castrate ya.:eek:

23. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

First off, nice ride!

Lol, I can imagine the registration was a hassle! Luckily, I have both tags for mine, along with the historical document from '76. Hopefully I won't catch too much hell at the dmv.

Oh, and 3 out of the 4 fenders are beat up like crazy. There was a ton of filler all over the car. Luckily, one of my best friends is an amazing body man, he's gonna hate me after we're done with this one haha.

24. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Thanks Orn! You have a pretty sweet ride there!

25. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Well I got off this morning, went to horror freight and purchased their pneumatic planishing hammer (70 bucks), one ton engine hoist (99 bucks) and an air saw (16 bucks). I had full intentions today of trying out a planishing hammer for the first time but, my friend conjured me into doing a little bodywork on his shoebox ford. I'm already on my 20th hour awake, hopefully I will still have some energy to mess with mine today haha. Here's a pic of his ride. Of course I had to make a little cameo with mine haha.

Attached Files:

26. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

That is one awesome lookin 41 man.

27. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Haven't done anything very noticeable to the car. Been welding up some holes that I won't be using and patching up a couple of rusty spots with some sheet metal I have laying around the garage. Putting some of the car together to get measurements for running boards and a few other modifications.

Does anyone know if running boards from a 1940 Chevy will fit? I know there will be some modification that needs to be done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  28. Voh

Voh

man thats nice an solid. Wasnt sure seeing the rockers, but it is. Very cool!

29. TT66'

TT66'

Wow I agree looks good and solid!