Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gave away my Truck for Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dave plmley, Dec 18, 2015.

1. dave plmley

dave plmley

I was feeling very thankful at Thanksgiving day for just being alive. It was always understood the my son would receive my truck when I pass away. I felt sad that I would never see him enjoy having the truck, so I handed him the keys and told him to take it home. He had a smile on his face as he drove away. I'm happy to have survived a lot of tough times and life has been good to me, it was the right thing to do..
    [​IMG]

2. jerry7702

jerry7702
    from fla

nice gesture nice truck..........

kiwijeff, volvobrynk and Paul B like this.
  3. That's awesome! I am sure he will appreciate it and like you said, you get the benefit of actually witnessing him enjoying it!

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. abner36

abner36

as the son of a hot rodder im sure it meant a lot to him and now you have that much more to enjoy together

54fierro and volvobrynk like this.

5. Yes, sometimes its better to give them away sooner than wait until the inevitable. He will treasure it I am sure and probably keep it like it is to honor you. I gave my Corvette to my daughter a couple of years ago figuring she would enjoy it more than I and she was promised it after I was gone anyway.

6. You sound like my grandpa. He worked and struggled and made it through life with a little extra. he spent the last 10 years of his life giving everything away so that he could enjoy seeing the people who he helped enjoy their inheritance.

You have made a good choice I think. :cool:

BradinNC, slack, Pinstriper40 and 3 others like this.
  7. Your a good man Dave and you get to witness your son enjoying the truck with a smile on his face instead of him taking possession of the keys with a tears in his eyes.

I admire guys like you and Don. :) HRP

kiwijeff and clem like this.
  8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Ya know.....You made me think of my late grandfather just now. I have several of his tools but my pride and joy is his old Wheel Horse garden tractor that sits in my garage (when not pushing snow, dirt....etc.). I think he'd appreciate the use I get out of his old tractor....just wish he were here to see it happen!

9. indyjps

indyjps

Congrats, great that you'll be able to see him enjoy it.

My question, now that you have an open spot in the garage, when can we expect a build thread.

10. What I have for inheritance from my granddad is a straight razor with an ivory handle (take that bleeding hearts) a shaving brush and a very heavy mug. He had all three all my life and taught me to shave with the straight razor. He gave me the razor and the brush when I was 14, gave me the mug the last month he was alive. I have carried all three with me everywhere. I don't use the straight razor or the brush but I do drink a cup of coffee from the mug every year on my birthday, it is the first porcelain mug I ever drank coffee from. Black because I was a big boy now.

There was a house but that is a story for another time and maybe only if we are friends.

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Wow what a great idea. Thanks for that.
    I have given away a vehicle to my daughter years ago. First car I've ever redone. 68 Stang. Bought it for her at 16, 25 yrs ago. Re-did it when she was in college and signed it over to her 10 yrs ago. Thanks for the idea. A good way to start a new project too.

12. brady1929

brady1929

You guys are awesome.

13. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

That is a good idea, I can tell my wife "Im building it for the kids/grandkids" whenever I drag another project home.
    Seriously, very appropriate that you both get to enjoy it and make memories, before memories are all that is left.

14. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

That's a great thing to do. I'm sure he appreciates being able to have the memories of you giving it to him and being able to enjoy it with him, than like HRP said just being handed the keys. This way you also know it's where it's supposed to be, instead of hoping everything worked out after you're gone.
    My Grandpa gave me his Nova when he couldn't drive it any more. It was my first car and, for the most part, what I learned to work on cars on.

15. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

You're a pretty rad dad!

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Brenda's Ranch Wagon will go to our eldest granddaughter but she is gonna have to wait,we are not through playing with the car. HRP

17. My eldest gets my tools and the A if I still have it or whatever project I didn't finish prior to my demise. ;)

18. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Definitely get an Atta boy for that one!
    KK

19. Good deed! My dad unfortunately married someone late in life that dragged him through a knot hole, backwards. All of his cool tools... gone with the wind.

I should retire very well and I intend to pass my stuff along to my kids. I'd like to get them going on projects that they can learn on as they go.

flamingokid likes this.
  20. With all the extra cars/trucks I have now, I am gonna have to have a couple more kids to divvy them out. Can a 68 year old man do that? :confused:

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. I'm available for adoption Don. :D HRP

kiwijeff, 56don and volvobrynk like this.
  22. Ebert

Ebert

You are a good man, Dave.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

You went from being a nice guy to a super cool person!

My grandfarther is 82 and works 30 hours a weak. He drinks, swears and enjoy life, and he keeps saying;
    When a man dies his things of value should go to the grandkids, because by the time he is old enough to leave this world, his kids shouldn't need anything. Because if your kids at the age of 60+ years need money/car/a house, the can be trusted with them and the grand kids need them more!

He is such a nice guy, and I enjoy spending time with him! Despite he by no means is a car guy or a hot rodder.

There is nothing like the happiness of seeing somebody enjoy something that you gave them.

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

certainly hope that he takes you along when he goes out cruisin' in his new ride. you are a young guy, maybe build another?

26. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dave,

At the end of the day it is all just "stuff" and you can't take any of it with you. You made a wise choice and you are wise to appreciate all that you have and all you've been through. Like you said you get to see your son enjoy the truck and you two will be able to build some fine memories.

It is so sad to see people clutching tightly to material things up to and including on their death bed. I'm not sure who the idiot was that said "whoever dies with the most toys wins" but they were most assuredly wrong. They didn't win anything. In the end they lost everything.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us and Merry Christmas!

Thor

exterminator and olcurmdgeon like this.
  27. studebaker46

studebaker46

you just renewed my faith in humanity that big smile on your sons face had to mean more than money Tom

28. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

The 53 in my avatar is going to my grandson after I finish my F1

29. dave plmley

dave plmley

Hey Guys
    Thanks for all the great comments, like you say "it's just stuff". No matter how much money you have, when your number comes up, you can't buy an other minute. My son is a great young man, we attend many car gathering together and will continue to do so because I still have the 41 Merc. Life is short so make the best of it.

30. dan31

dan31

And that is what we call "character".

volvobrynk likes this.