Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gauge Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Feb 17, 2014.

1. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Hey guys.. I am about to buy gauges for my 65 ford f100 .. I have a brand new engine turn stock custom cab bezel that I want to put a 5 gauge set into. but, my dilemma is that I have a mustang gas tank and almost every gauge set out there does not support the 73-10 mustang fuel sender. or my Ford cable. Im getting tired of looking and thought Id turn to you guys for some help. Can you guys point me in a direction of some cool gauges that won't break my bank.. like 400 and under that will work with my truck.

Thanks I can share pics if you think it will help.

2. 65fordguy

65fordguy

picture of my truck, a pic I found on the net of what I want to do.. only with 5.. speedo and 2 smaller gauges on the side, don't want to drill out the bezel. and the last pic is what the new bezel looks like.

Attached Files:

3. 65fordguy

65fordguy

a sketch of how I think I would like it.. only Im not attached to white gauges.

Attached Files:

4. Stewart warner makes gauges for Ford, you can get new ones that look like they did in the '60s.

5. 65fordguy

65fordguy

porknbeaner I looked at several of their kits .. i didn't see a kit sold with the ford gas gauge.. I did see that they made some single gauges that would. Anyone have a webpage for stewart warner.. I found stewartwarner.net which is just a reseller as far i can tell.

6. I haven't been able to find a Stewart Warner website either, but I did find an online catalog.
    I used their wing series gauges (bought them from Summit) in my 56 Fairlane. For the gas gauge I used their five hole sender with an adapter I made to fit my stock six hole sending unit. You can also buy an adapter at Speedway Motors.

7. 65fordguy

65fordguy

well my issue is the sending units for a mustang gas tank are twist on.. the senders that come in a lot of the kits won't work in this tank. I have looked for a different ohm sending unit for mustangs but had no luck. it would certainly make things easier.. you would think as popular as mustangs are there would be more out there for this. or I may not be looking in right spot.

I love the Wing logo on the gauges.. but the old tyme style pointer kinda kiills it for me. just not a fan of that pointer for some reason. If I could change that I would be all for it.

8. von Dyck

von Dyck

Check out Speedhut and design your own gauges. Prices competitive with the other major brands.

9. I'm running their GPS speedometer, I like it a lot.

10. When I put in my SW temp gauge, it was off by about 70º. I got a resistor at radio shack and installed it inline and now the gauge works fine. Maybe something like that would work for you.

11. stimpy

stimpy

autometer has a programmable fuel gauge , kind of a neat set up , you program it per there instructions , and it sets the gauge to what ohm sender you have . ( the instructions and senders it can be used on are listed in there instruction web site .

as for stewart-warner they do not have a "current catalog" and only sell there products thru Distributors . Summit basically has a listing of all there products . and I am not happy witht he quality of them either compaired to the old Chicago made stuff