Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gather round, August Banger Meet now in session!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buschandbusch, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Get a smaller diameter one, top quality so theres no chance of it breaking and also the advantage of slowing the waterpump and dynamo down.

Available from a couple of different people but basically all the same thing.

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks...

now my next question
    can anyone post pictures of how a generator is mounted on these motors (the brackets)...the one i bought has an alternator but he gave me a V8 generator with it...i just need to figure out how to mount it. and it would be nice if i can copy something original to make it work
    thanks
    Zach

3. This is my stock dynamo.

Half of the mounting bracket is part of the front end cover and the second part screws into the main body.

[​IMG]

Out of interest my dynamo has been converted to 12v negative ground with a regulator rather than the cut-out. Notice that the cut-out is missing from top of the dynamo.

[​IMG]

The regulator has been mounted behind the gas tank on the back of the firewall to try and keep the engine bay as clutter free and stock looking as possible.

[​IMG]

4. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thank you!

what holds the tension?
    just the bolt through the pivot point?

thanks
    zach

5. Yep and not very well from my experience!
    I've never had any belt slippage problems though.

I've always ran the the fan belts a little on the slack side to take some of the strain off the bearings in the waterpump and more recently the dynamo as well.

6. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks
    i think that may be what partially caused the problems with the set-up this car had
    there was a rediculous amount of tension on the belt from the alternator
    thanks alot for the pictures...i'll see what i can come up with

thanks
    Zach

7. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

My stock dynamo didn't slip for two and a half years, then all of a sudden wouldn't hold any tension at all. Just starting the car up would loosen the belt, regardless of how tight I bolted it up.
    There is a very simply bracket available from all of the Model A houses that attaches onto one of the timing cover bolts that pushes against the dynamo to tension it.

I've changed my generator to a higher output Lucas unit now though, with a concealed regulator, similar to 4ever4's, so I made up a regular type of bracket to tension the belt.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The little aftermarket brace works well. If you want to go to a later generator, the standard speed shop bracket made to munt the alternator on Small Chevies with headers, or the exact equivalent found on all '63 up 6 cyl inline Chevies, is very easy to adapt to Model B gen bracket and just about any 1950's generator.

Edit addition: Most 1950's generators will accept the wide belt pulley sold to adapt alternators, and this also means that many wide belt pulleys from various generators will fit other generators.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

A minor piece of banger tool tech, rediscovered last night when I went looking for a pulley:
    Turning over a banger for timing or for valve work can be difficult; common wisdom is that doing it by the fan will eventually result in a fan blade being fired through your radiator, and doing it with the crank from the toolkit requires either orangutan arms or a helper. There just isn't much room around that cranknut.
    Here's a way that fits B's and A's, an idea from Ahooga adapted and refined a bit:
    Most 1 3/8" sockets are 3/4 drive and too hefty to go in there. Sears sells a 36 MM (Look in the "Warsaw Pact Standard" socket section) that is an acceptable fit for this and is 1/2" drive and short enough to go in there. Add to it, also from Sears, the little adaptor plug that allows you to turn a socket with a 3/4" end wrench, buy either the bent or straight 3/4" ratcheting box wrench, and you have your own handy under the hood engineturneroverer.
    Now it's your own fault when you slide past the timing pin dimple and you don't need an assistant to yell at!

10. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks everyone
    i think i am going to try to make something
    seems simple enough to make something that looks "right"
    i wish all this stuff wasnt modernized like it is

it has an aluminum waterpump pulley with a plastic fan too
    but im not gona deal with that right now
    time and space to work are an issue until i unload my other car

thanks
    zach

11. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

you may find yourself going back to those later- I spent lots of time upgrading to those parts! Sure, the generator looks cooler, the original water pump looks cooler, fan, etc., but they don't work cooler. That fan is a dangerous weapon at high speed (mine cracked in half and came loose), but I could find no suitable replacement to fit on a sealed water pump so I had to go with a small universal fit (you'll also want that sealed pump since the stocker will NEVER stop leaking, EVER. NEVER :D ) I would like one of those alternators with a generator case though........

Also- you should note, the pulley and fan you speak of, if it's a serpentine belt and a white plastic fan, SELL IT TO ME!!!! That's a nice piece and if you don't want it I'll take it off your hands. Is it still running the stock pump or a 32-35 sealed V8 pump? If it's running a V8 pump and alternator it would swap to my motor perfectly.......

Also- one piece of equipment you should get- one of those billet SMC MOnster breathers. I know, I just said the B-WORD. BUT, unless you like the entire engine bay coated in oil after every ride it's a good functioning piece, albeit very ugly!

12. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

SHOOT!!!!! I ran into this and had to take my radiator off to use my 3/4 socket, dang, had I only known. Bruce comes through again! :D

13. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

thanks buschandbusch

i realize that this fan set-up is "safer" and some things work better...but this car is kinda "special"....so im going to make it 100% period correct atleast as much as i can without ruining the asthetic character that it has now

this motor has the original "big" breather on it still....kinda fits in there loose but thats an easy fix

heres a picture of the other side of the motor
    i'm at work so i dont have the left side right now
    Zach

just saw your edit.....this is a regular V-belt and a black plastic fan...sorry

Attached Files:

14. Thought I didn't have any news for this month and remembered this misery.

First time out after getting it on the road, decided to go to Ford Fair at Silverstone race circuit.

Mine's the black one in this picture if you didn't realise!

[​IMG]

Queueing up for the 0-60 timing runs, showing the RS boys what a real car is.

[​IMG]

That fun lead to this.....

[​IMG]

....That's a "brand new" Griffin rad dumping all its water on the floor.

The home of British motoring racing indeed....
    Eerrmm... ignore the strangely camp pose!

[​IMG]

Oh the shame of it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a quick fix I've raided the coupe for its bonnet, rad and grille. Its so nice to be putting on components that actually FIT.

[​IMG]

The misery continues, just found this.

With erratic shimming of the kingpins and a nasty front end shimmy, I've just found this with the kingpins.

[​IMG]

The one on the left is a stock 'A' kingpin and the one on the right is what I took off. Notice the locating groove.

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You've hit the two dominant themes of Banger ownership!
    1. The previous owner was an idiot!
    2. All repro parts are CRAP!

Appendix A: Keep a good pair of walking shoes in the car, because you will be discovering iterations of 1 and 2 for a long while! :)

16. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

the car looks really good!!!

mine came home the same way on its first trip
    let me find a few other things that needed fixed also
    sometimes its not a terrible thing when you discover other problems that could be worse

luckily for you your parts were available
    mine are on their way so im still not sure what she'll do!

we'll have to set a world wide standard for timing these things so we can see how they compare even across the pond

zach

17. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

WOWSERS- you got that in quite a state of tune already. Though I would still suggest the 32-35 Ford V8 sealed pump for reliability, just paint the adapter red! I don't blame you for wanting it period correct either, I just chose to run a hood and sides! :p

18. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

GOLD, pure GOLD!

19. Oh yeh, almost blew the engine sky high when the breather detached itself from the engine and proceded to empty the sump of oil.

At least the the underside of the car won't rust now!

This sounds good, what do you have in mind?

20. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i really have no idea....your metric over there right?

21. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

this car has a full hood with no louvers or anything...so you wont see the motor(which leads to alot of...whats in it?)....but i still think the V8 pump changover is a bit new looking for me...thanks for the advice though....i seem to want to fight what works easily most times in order to do it more old fashion...and everything i have leaks! haha

thanks
    zach

22. You know its can get pretty serious.

You've seen Artiki and me bitchin' over 1/10th sec and 1 mph .....!

He still wishes he was faster than me.

23. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i wish someone near me was building one close to this

my neighbor is building a 29 roadster with a 221 V8 in it...so he's gona be my competition here with this car...both are pretty much 95% 1940 correct if not more on actual running gear...12volt and things like that dont matter as much

i just met a guy locally doing a 31 with a miller head on it...but i dont think he has a heavy enough right foot to compete...not sure yet but thats overhead

i think this thing oughta do ok against the bigger V8's too though
    its not too quick off the line with the lincoln gears and hi rear end but it felt like it really wanted to go once you get rolling
    ....not that i got to drive it tooo far.....

what length track do you guys race on? and what kind of times do you run?

zach

24. We have the same 1/4 mile as you guys!

25. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

what times/speeds do you run?
    i'm not much for drag racing but i might have to give it a go to see what this new car will do compared to others and see what my other car will do too

zach

26. 18.7 @ 70 mph

27. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

ok....now i need to find a 1/4 mile and see what she'll do!
    what caused your radiator problem?

28. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Guffaw....:rolleyes:
    It's no good claiming you're the fastest when you don't turn up ;)
    AND that 18.7 wasn't against me. I'd have psyched you out on the line....like I did Neil :D :D :D

29. The waterpump whacked it while I was assembling but it had obviously done more damage than I thought.

[​IMG]

I know, I think it was against Al Boxal.

Its all go for the drags if I don't have anymore mishaps.

Bring a copy of your quickchange instructions to the hayride if you can.

30. SUHRsc

SUHRsc