Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gassing myself

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vet57air, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Have a 34 Ford 3 window with all new running gear. When I drive it I can smell what I thought was gas. I could smell it on my cloths. After investigation finding no leaks, I found that if I put the windows up smell was gone. I now think it is exhaust that I am smelling. I had built new SS exhaust that goes over the rear but ends about 10 inches short of the fuel tank cover. I will try some tips to extend, but has anyone had experience like this?

2. To anyone who cares, I extended the exhaust 9 inches so that the tips protrude 1 inch past the fuel tank cover. End of problem. Amazing what turbulance can do.

3. yup, its like on all full size vans the back windows say don't leave open while driving.. same reason....

4. Years ago a couple kids died due to a cheap and improper exhaust repair. Seems the tail pipe was rotted out and was replaced with a pipe that ended just before the rear bumper on a station wagon. Kids were asleep in the back and the Dad was waiting for the wife to get off work on a cold winter night. The rear window on the tail gate was cracked for fresh air an the kids were overcome by carbon monoxide !! Sad but true, I'm sure he suffered the rest of his life for a cheap repair.

5. A set of dumpers would have worked too. I remember being gassed in my mums old HR Stationwagon, bad rear window seal. I wish I had that wagon now though!!

Doc.