Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasser Wagon - First Fruits of my Labor (art post)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KCsledz, Jul 24, 2007.

1. KCsledz

KCsledz

Posters added. Sorry its not friday but I was busy printing these (see lower in post for DRAGSTRIP RIOT and Slow and Low)

Sometimes thing drop in your lap when you least expect them to. Exhibit A the new Showcard press I picked up a few weeks ago. I was not planning on bringing posters to the drags just being a spectator for once was what I was looking forward to. But with the new press the artist in me started thinking of new cool 19" x 24" posters that I would be able to print and I stopped sleeping completely. Transfering images to linoleum. Xyleen marker...I will probably pay for that when I get older! Now my day job just gets in the way! I exiled the family to "THE FARM" (TM) for the week and have been secretly cutting linoleum for hours and hours after work. The grief I will endure from my wife once the Credit Card bill comes will be short lived as the HAMB DRAGS rush closer!

Working hours into the morning seems like a dream. The smell of the ink & solvents, the tase of paper. The rythm created by doing the same repetitive motions all blur together as night turns to day. Another 44oz Sonic cherry coke! Did I really drink 4 yesterday? The day job is in the way again! Well at least it gives me a chance to get some rest, purchase supplies at lunch and dream on. One final night before the family comes home and everything returns to normal. No pumkins at the end of this ride though! Just glorious posters, all over my floors, drying, waiting for final trimming and their new homes. They have to get done. There is no OPTION B.

Long story short...here is the first fruits of my labor. I would say that they are on track to have 2 posters finished for the HAMB DRAGS the 4th weekend in August.

Gasser Wagon 19" x 24" black ink on Red paper. These will be a limited run of about 75 to 100.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. raven

raven

Alright, put me down for one.
    r

3. KCsledz

KCsledz

Robin,

Just wait till you see the second poster in a couple of weeks! I have everything figured out except for the automobile a 28 pickup or a 32 coupe maybe.

It will be a 2 color job. I think I have about 10 hours tied up in the art and cutting linoleum so far. Probably another 5 to go to pull 75 prints. The ones on white paper pop off of the page.

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

That's very cool .....

5. raven

raven

Then put me down for one of each.
    If it's possible, I want number one of each...
    r

6. KCsledz

KCsledz

Sorry Boys! Won't be here friday and these are hot (well room temperature actually) off of the letterpresses!

You have seen the artwork now feast your eyes on the finished posters! They are not trimmed to size yet but I am extremely pleased at the outcome. The design work took about 3.5 hours to render the car and the background. Mounting the linoleum to the blocks that I had to have Home Depot cut took .5 hours and about $15. Transferring the image via Xerox transfer with a Xyleene marker 2hrs combined for both blocks. Lino cost was around $50 for this 2 color poster. Cutting the linoleum took 4.5 hours per color due to the size of the artwork. I probably could have added another 4 hours per block if I didn’t cheat and trim out the larger area with an exacto knife and pry the linoleum off of the block with a paint scraper before the liquid nails was completely dry. (*note mounding with liquid nails DID leave high spots on my block because I could not apply enough pressure to flatten it out. I tried to smooth the lines of adhesive down prior to positioning the linoleum but I still have some issues to work out with that.)

The red went down first. I used a PMS 187 VanSons offset ink, a super small drop of VanSons three way drier and a touch of beginners luck. The first night I printed 27 of the red background. It took about 2 hours to do. You could say it was about 4 minutes a poster. Mostly because I have to hand ink and then go set the posters on the floor of my kids playroom. I was hoping for faster drying time so I could get them off of the floor Saturday morning but it did not happen like I expected. They did dry but it took 2 days. Probably because of the amount of ink that I used. What that meant is another trip to the hardware store for 2 x 4’s and nails. I put together a drying rack, which looked pretty good if I do say so, and transferred all of the posters off of the floor and into it. I will have to post a picture of that another day. The black went considerably quicker. Most likely because of how it covers. Once again an offset ink, VanSons Pantone Black, with a touch of drier.

ENJOY! Finished trim size approx 18" x 24".

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. KCsledz

KCsledz

And the third one going the the drags. Sorry for missing the Friday art show but I was madly printing getting things ready for the HAMB DRAGS!!!!!!

Slow and Low

[​IMG]

8. those look awesome! gotta get off that cherry coke though, that stuff will kill you.

The boy and I will stop by and say hi at the races.

9. KCsledz

KCsledz

Cool. I will be looking for ya.

10. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Hey, that's smooth. I have some removeable adhesive here at work, if you need something to experiment with. its .002" and I could laminate it to your linoleum, then you would have a even surface. it stick pretty good to metal.