Register now to get rid of these ads!

gasser suspention explained

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gary terhaar, Oct 8, 2007.

1. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Last week i went to the speed shop i have been going to since a kid the owner and his son have a long history of drag racing,each with many wins and achievements.The dad being jack and son scott merkel.Jack has been verry helpful in many prodjects i have been involved in mostly in advice or guidance and always willing to help out. While i was getting parts for my pickup build i was talking about wheel base length and traction needs.Jack then said "you dont need a posi if your suspention is set up right".He went to explain how he ran his last gasser with a open diff and a olds rear.HE went to also say it was real helpful on small tracks with a tight turn off.the car had a 100 inch wheelbase and went consistantly straight regardless of track conditions.Surprisingly he still had the data he used in 67 when he built the car and let me copy it.The suspention is the one on pg 3 the one arm type used in 53 jaguar c type.With this he used coils to suspend the car a panhard bar and a torque arm sanwitched between two plates to allow movement.A short link on the pass side rear to chassis to maintain axle pacement.TO fine tune it he placed a truck battery on 2 angle iron rails left to right and slid it back and forth and locked it down when it was best.The only negitive he said was he broke spyders from time to time.The car went 8:80 @150 ish not bad for a passenger car open rear.Imight try this on my next build.i havent seen it used any other time maybe someone else has. Use the link to see the ase article from 1966 explaining this theory http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd154/1fastfx/?
    http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd154/1fastfx/?

Attached Files:

2. Good Stuff Thanks.