Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasser/Street Freak front axle pics.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by k-member, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Anybody know what became of this 55??? it is in my mind the coolest 55 ever built...............long live STREET FREAKS!!!!!!

2. jokerjason

jokerjason

I love that 55............bad ass machine!!!! JOKER JASON.

3. TDWZ28

TDWZ28
    from Michigan

4. Here ya go-

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  5. k-member

k-member

Nice, this thread only took 2 years to take off. Some really great detailed shots Baron. I like like the pics where you can really see and understand how everything works on each varied application.

6. TDWZ28

TDWZ28
    from Michigan

Thanks for putting that picture up for me!

7. Bushmaster

Bushmaster
    from Austin, TX

I'll bet you guys know the answer to a question I've had about straight axle setups. If you're running parallel leafs, do you have to run a shackle at one end if the springs aren't arched (flat springs)? If you do have to run shackles, can they be at the front of the spring or do they need to be at the rear mount?

Thanks in advance!

8. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You do need shackles. With out them, the springs will not be able to flex what-so-ever. The shackles can be mounted either forward or aft. I have found over the years that if you are running drag link steering frt to rear( as opposed to the drag link going from the steering box to right front wheel), the shackles are better mounted the opposite side of the axle the steering box is mounted. (example: if your steering box is mounted in front of your axle,best to put the shackles in the rear, and vice versa). Cross steering is just a matter of preference/looks.

rod1 likes this.
  9. 5w32

5w32

my 40 stude was built in the 60's, 40(?) ford axle , stude front spring minus about 4 leafs ,homemade hairpins, corvair steering

Attached Files:

10. Bushmaster

Bushmaster
    from Austin, TX

Thanks, man - exactly the info I was needing. Much obliged!

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Baron:
    Nice clean setup, everything parallel. Where did you get that slick pitman arm?
    Is it just straight-splined inside or does it have the 4 'master slots' like the factory one?
    Thanks...

12. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. The pitman arm came from Speedway Motors. I think it has only 1 double wide spline, so it can only be installed in 4 positions.

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Take out the double wide splines and you can put it any where you want..Two or so splines "to the left" will give equal steering wheel turns to left/right..

14. here are a couple of pics of mine. We made the axle from hydrolic tube (seamless). tig welded. 40 ford stubs and falcon rotors and calipers. Made springs with shackles up the front. Original fairlane steering box.
    I have run 10.99 at 119 mph and can not believe how straight it runs.
    Hope this helps some one.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  15. blinddaddykarno

blinddaddykarno

:p
    I am curious as to how long the zip ties will hold out on the cross steer! All kidding aside, looks preety slick.

Brian

16. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

Mine was all Speedway Except for the Chassis Engineering steering arms. The 1/2 rack is a right hand steer unit turned upside down so I could put it in front of the axle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deuces and droppedstepside like this.
  17. AHotRod

AHotRod

This world needs more Street Freaks !

Love 'em.

18. choke

choke

Another tri five tube axle conversion. I think threre's more tube axle 55-57 Chevys being built than there were back in the day!!!

Attached Files:

19. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Is anyone using a 47-48 chevy 1/2 ton pick up axle?

20. nutajunka

nutajunka

41 chevy truck steering box to custom made steering arm on 41 chevy truck spindles on 41 axle. Old style dragling steering, works great, steers easy.

Attached Files:

21. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Thanks for posting info on the shackles, I'm starting a 50 and was wondering why some shackles are fore and some are aft.

22. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

23. You say that like its a bad thing. We couldnt all be there when they first came around, so this is as close as we can get!;)

24. AHotRod

AHotRod

Now THAT is a strong chassis, very impressive and good to see that someone has spent the time to make sure that it's done right, strong and safe.

Very well done.

25. I saw these at the SanDiego Big Three Swap meet in 2010

Attached Files:

26. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

here's our street freak nova sporting a fabulous upside down & backwards jeep axle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Mullins

Mullins

Better shot of under my Henry J. Jumpin J

Attached Files:

28. 1958 IMPALA

1958 IMPALA
    from CA

ttt

29. marks73turbota

marks73turbota

How about a '63 Pontiac Catalina full size freak. '57 Chevy truck axle with disc conversion. Did not trust my welding to be safe enough so I had the front frame clip and axle installed by a professional. Everything else has been done by me so far. Narrowed rear frame rails. Cut out the firewall and moved the cutout back 10 inches. The front seat will sit in the rear seat footwell. Block is a full built '60 389 punched to 406, forged crank, aluminum rods Ross dished forged pistons and KRE aluminum heads. Using a turbo to boost the HP.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Firewall cut out, moved back, and fill in.

[​IMG]

Mock up engine in place.

[​IMG]

Seat moved back and recovered in an Indian blanket temporarily.

[​IMG]

The engine is almost done, just waiting to bring it home but lots to do to get it on the street. 4 bolt splayed caps, stiffening rods in the deck to keep the deck from flexing. Good turbo cam 251/241 .650 lift 116 CL. Built for boost.

[​IMG]

Mark L

30. choke

choke

This is definitely a STREET FREAK front end design. We used the chrome overloads for a stablizer in turns. It worked out excellent and also gave it a PURE HELL LOOK!! Car steered and road like a Cadillac.

Attached Files: