Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Gasser Reunion 2013, Changes more Hamb Friendly!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don Moyer, Dec 20, 2012.

1. John T.

John T.

By reading all of this I assume I cannot run the Pocket Rocket in a Gasser class?

2. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

John, your in a class all by yourself!

3. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Rick,

You lost me, by your interpretation then, how are "splinter" groups bad? Thats what makes up drag racing and especially Nostalgia drag racing.... How fast you go doesn't determine whats "Classical", it's about the LOOK and SOUL of the cars... If you don't get that concept, then you won't get what we're trying to do.
    As far as bookings, READ the thread....! Beaver Springs has agreed to have the "Classical AA/GS Group" appear and entertain their fans. Why would we invite cars that don't fit our objectives and rules to race with us? Our members number one objective is to put a SHOW on... Our cars carry the front ends, generally don't go straight, and are always a handful to drive. So by your request, we're going to invite a bunch of on the ground four link cars that can go a half second quicker and have a hell of a lot better chance of going straight down the track... Yea, that would be smart. All I can suggest to Rossitter is show up at the track with a bunch of cars and show Beaver Springs what they can do.... oh, that's right, he already did that..

Rocky

4. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

Don, maybe you were in the pits or staging lanes and missed what happened the last time the two groups met. Both of Rocky's cars went out first round. Both of Mortons' cars made it to the final with the blue '33 Willys originally built by Jim Oddy winning. Do you really think that Rocky is ever going to let himself be put into a situation where he would have to race those guys again? Yes those cars in the final had those quirky Rodlite wheels, and the blue car was low and had a four link rear suspension. Both cars had Hilborn four port injectors. I think it was just a better tuner and better drivers won the day. The Hemi J weighed 3,200 lbs. I think the Nostalgia AA/G cars are more match race type cars. Nothing wrong with that as they were around back in the day. Most notably the Football Austin of Big John Mazmanian Which was banned from competing in the gasser classes. Many of the big time gasser greats made their living match racing. Now as for calling the Nostalgia AA/G cars slow Pro Mods... Big Time Memories and Flashback come to mind. I guess it takes some one who has one to know one.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  5. 442 c/g

442 c/g

Think i`m gonna come out this year and play, haven`t raced in a while and a couple buddies want to come over to Beaver, did the place get any bigger, last time I was there 2003 or 4 it seemed small.

Don

6. This argument is pointless and really has no bearing on the subject of the thread, or my article. The axle rule only pertains to normally aspirated gassers. There is no AA/GS class. Until some of them show up to run, I don't need to make any rules for them. For now they are included with the regulars until there is a big enough field. Let me follow that by saying I hope it does happen!

7. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

I have to correct myself. The Hemi J was infact running an Enderle Birdcatcher injector. I understand both cars are undergoing off season changes to make them appear more nostalgic.

8. Same place, come out a and play:D

9. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Craig,

Really glad you know so much about my racing exploits, funny you missed us winning two of the three Oddy events we entered....lol Oh well on the third, funny thing is I don't remember having both cars going out first round, if my memory is correct, Freddy in the K.S. car did make the semi's but you are right on me going out first round. I guess that makes me a failure.... At least I was out there trying, what car did you have? lol

Rocky

10. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don,
    Glad to hear that you will be at Beaver. I don't think Larry and I have seen you since Pork's service.
    Wanda

11. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

Hey Don, hope to see you at one of the events this year. Been a while.

12. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

Rocky, I'll refresh your memory. Thompson 2010. People are still talking about that race to this day. Maybe somebody has some video footage they could show you. Jeff Cryan, Gordon Crowe, John Faust and Skip Coverdale advanced to round two. And you're right. I haven't started on my own car yet. But thanks for asking.

13. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Craig,

I'll take your word on it, really wish I could win them all... Since this has nothing to do with the Beaver Springs race, how bout we call a truce so people can get back to what the thread is all about. I'm going to open a new one announcing the "Classical AA/GS Schedule", you can post there on my first round lost..lol

Rocky

14. So are the common generic spectators the ones dictating the height rule ? When did gassers only become gassers when they had a straight axle and nose bleed stance ?
    The true nostalgic race fans would be able to tell the difference between an old nostalgia car with a lower front vs. a modern tube chassis low in the front car. RIGHT ????
    What drives this whole change and debate anyhow ? I just can't help to wonder why my car would not be allowed in the regular Gasser class here or Thompson. I run a stock frame with stock front suspension, didn't gassers evolve from regular stock cars ?
    I feel my car has plenty to offer towards being a gasser

Raised front suspension for weight transfer---check
    Engine set back from stock location for weight transfer---check
    Raidiused rear wheel opening for wider tire---check
    Cool tinted windows for looks---check
    Vintage tunnel ram and dual carbs sticking out of the hood---check
    Vintage 15 X 3.5 Fenton Gyros with 15 X 8.5 slots---check
    The important part...raced regular ---check
    etc...etc..it's a damn shame

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Now I know why I enjoy the format of things like Billetproof drags, or Eagle Field drags. No winners, losers, money, or trophies. Well you do win or lose a race, but it doesn't stop you from running many more times! Once all that is eliminated and people can make as many passes as they have time for in a day, then everyone shows up just for the fun of racing.
    This bickering is really sad.

16. old guy 1950

old guy 1950
    from buffalo

After reading some of the postings on what's a gasser is and what it is not, I came to the conclusion you folks are missing the point. There where nose up cars for a wile as well as nose down cars, and tube chassis cars all running gasser there was a little bit of everything, not all of the cars had straight axels there where many A frame cars in the class. Trying to force real gassers into non gasser classes is sure way to kill gasser racing...Play nice and have fun..

17. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

Race [​IMG]/ˈreɪs/ noun plural rac·es
    1 a [count] : a competition between people, animals, vehicles, etc., to see which one is fastest
    ▪ a bicycle/boat/car/yacht race — see also drag race, footrace, horse race, rat race, sack
    Odd...

18. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

Rocky, the answer to your question is yes. I don't take it personal. We all just want to see big AA/G racing with lots of cars. I still think you have some of the nicest cars out there. I think putting Fred Bear and Bones Balough in the drivers seat is very honorable.

19. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Cool..! and thanks for the compliment.. and ..... having Bones and Freddy get a chance to be in the spotlight is the HIGHLIGHT for me... I'm very passionate about what we do, and my objectives for these cars might not meet everyones ideas.... but to me, having Freddy win the Hot Rod Reunion and US Nationals meant way more to me then if I was behind the wheel, and just as neat was talking to Bones in the staging lanes as he was getting ready to run the Big John Mazmanian 40 Willys down the Indy race track fifty years after he won the biggest race in drag racing, and having Bones tell me he felt like a 18 year old kid... To me, thats what its all about!

20. Rocky;
    My comments are based on that of a fan..they have Nothing to do with Rossiter's program ,so why beat that dead horse.
    But ,having said that,you have told me all your cars are set up the same way,so naturally they should all handle and look the same 'cept for paint schemes and drivers.
    Hats off for building your program..

there are others building cars that fit a program they enjoy equally.

Have fun ,play safe...

Rick

21. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Don,

I look forward to seeing you there!

Rocky

22. 442 c/g

442 c/g

Hi Wanda, no I haven`t done much since then. I stripped the car down to fix some rust issues and hope to have it back to its old self in the spring.
    See you then,
    Don.

23. 442 c/g

442 c/g

Hi Micky,
    hope to see you somewhere this year, gonna try Beaver Springs and the Blue suede and who knows where else. If nothing else I can always take a bike ride up for a visit.

Don

24. John, we will still let you run it!

25. Nostalgia Gas, a whole class of gassers just like yours!-----Checkmate

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  26. 442 c/g

442 c/g

Rocky,
    I gotta get out and do some racing cause dad misses seeing everybody, me too!!

Don

27. agreed, but I just shuffled the deck a little bit with class designation, imagine what would happen if I took the money away!

28. Could you look up 'Reunion' for me?

29. Boss Hydro

Boss Hydro
    from Phila

Swade,

I don't think height has anything to do with what makes a gasser a GASSER. The height just sets the era the cars were run in. Prior to the 1968 season, tires were not as good and the MAJORITY of the gassers were set up to get as much weight transfer as possible, this didn't mean some weren't lower, but the majority were " Up-In-The-Air". The 68 season marked many things, one being better tires and another Ohio George bringing out a whole different concept to gassers and that was a modern production car/body. The MAJORITY of the cars racing then started to be lowered to the ground as doing so proved to make considerable improvements to performance and consistency. To me. Up-In-The-Air or lowered to the ground are BOTH cool... It's a persons preference. To me their ALL GASSERS, just different types. I believe Beaver Bob and Don are on the same page as this, I believe there will be multiple GASSER classes, that way there is a place for ALL the Gassers a chance to have some fun....

Rocky

30. It's funny that I agree and also disagree, my front suspension is 1951 (pre 1968), raised about as high as I feel safe in relation to lower control arms being somewhat parallel to ground. I think this type suspension is where Gassers started, then to get higher for more weight transfer the straight axles (if car was not so equipped factory) were installed. This along with blocks and re-arched springs for factory straight axle cars to get it up there.
    Which leads me back to my point, your group of cars and mine are worlds apart. I feel mine with raised stock suspension is where your type cars evolved from, where's the logic ? It seems I would be in a pre-gasser, gasser class..lol
    With that being said, like I eluded to earlier The Gasser Racing Series has 8 scheduled races plus the Gold Cup. I have plenty of racing to do this year but would also like to attend a couple out of state shows as long as I wasn't treated as a red headed stepchild for non straight axle nose bleed stance.