Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasser question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Philbilly, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Philbilly

Philbilly

Ok, before everybody jumps me, I know this isn't a hamb friendly truck, but just thought I would ask. I have a 69 F-100 swb that I have been thinking of making into a gasser. Does anybody know of any chassis parts that I can get if i plan on doing this?

Thanks,

Phil

2. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

This is very close to the build I'm thinking of. Depending on the width of your frame you could probably get an I-beam axle and leaf springs from an earlier Ford or maybe a Dodge of the same year. You would have to work out steering though. I wouldn't suggest using any of the straight axle setups from Speedway Motors. I've heard their stuff is kinda weak for heavier cars. By the way, I'm thinking of building a gasser out of a '78 F150. Dare To Be Different. I've found a Dodge axle that I will probably use in my truck seeing as how my frame is 34 inches wide and the axle mounts are 34 inches center to center so I will mount mine directly under the frame. I will have to work out steering when I get the axle in because I can't determine what to do by just thinking about how it will look. Maybe someone else can give you better info.

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

not trying to throw water on your ideas, fellas, but keep in mind that the whole gasser era was over by 1969. Not that it matters, but just felt you might want to know.

look for an older Econoline van as an axle donor for the 69, otherwise try Speedway, they sell good kits that can be custom fit for the width of your truck

hope your builds go well. Please post up photos.

4. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I know it won't be traditional but I think it would be a good look. Think more streetfreak than gasser. My project will be a long ways down the road. I would just like to see Philbilly's with a straight axle.