Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gasser pickups/suburbans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bengt Forsberg, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bengt Forsberg

Bengt Forsberg
    from Sweden

Hi I suppose thats a tread for everything soon, so I want to see some gasser commercial vehicles like pickups, suburbans or panels, dose anybody have som pictures of them.

2. You realise gassers were race cars?

slowmotion and Special Ed like this.
  3. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I happen to have these photos at my fingertips so I'll post them.

B 15 036.JPG B 15 056.JPG IMG_1960.JPG

4. Bengt Forsberg

Bengt Forsberg
    from Sweden

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016

5. Saxxon

Saxxon

6. And nothing in the link you shared was a real "Gasser" or racer from the Gas Class era. The Willy's Pickups were popular, a couple of Austin's (although they weren't technically legal in NHRA) but that was about it, I'm sure there were others but none that were truly competitive that I can think of off the top of my head, and I was there during the golden era of the gasser's in So Cal.
    As for a Suburban? You are joking right?

falcongeorge, mad mikey and Dean Lowe like this.
  7. 0ldracer

0ldracer

8. 0ldracer

0ldracer

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I love this country.
    You won't see that in Afghanistan!

11. earlymopar

earlymopar

AHotRod likes this.
  12. manyolcars

manyolcars

An awful lot of people on this forum are trying to re-write history to be something it never was, I saw a post where a guy was talking about a 69 chevy and he said it was 'almost' off topic!! Dont even start with International trucks. Those were NEVER used as traditional hotrods

AHotRod, falcongeorge and X38 like this.
  13. Saxxon

Saxxon

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

no Don, I don't believe he is...:eek::rolleyes: as a general rule, I find a skull in an avatar pretty much tells you all you need to know...;)

AHotRod, lbcd, blue57ford and 3 others like this.
  15. LOL Sad to say, but I think you are correct George!
    Hey guys, go look at the REAL GASSERS I just posted in the "Days Gone By " thread.
    There are REAL 60's gassers, jacked up 70's cartoon "gassers" and modern "gassers". The REAL TRADITIONAL STYLE is 1960's style. Build whatever you want, but sorry, us OLD GUYS that actually were around then tend to laugh at the jacked up 70's versions. They weren't race cars, just dorky street cars.
    This site is for TRADITIONAL cars, facts are facts, check out REAL GASSERS!
    To each there own, but it ain't TRADITIONAL.

16. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

17. 117harv

117harv

Glad you said "as a general rule" because I have had skulls as my avatar.

falcongeorge likes this.
  18. Those weren't "Gassers" they were Street Freaks - and the new crop of clowns seems to think that they are Gassers!
    If it looks like a Four by Four reject, it ain't a Gasser!

AHotRod, X38 and falcongeorge like this.
  19. That's my point. I don't care WHAT guys like or build, but they ARE NOT GASSERS any more than RAT RODS are traditional hot rods.

20. Saxxon

Saxxon

The 4x4 stance was very common back in the early days when the tires sucked and weight transfer was the key. This gave way to the front end high look and then as the tire technology came around, the level and low ride stance.

What kills me these days is anything with a straight axle is being called a gasser. Of course this generally assumes that all gassers had straight axles, which wasn't the case at all. Many of the lower gas classes used stock independent style front ends.

download.jpg images (1).jpg

21. Look, the OP is Swedish, give him a break.
    He's probably a real rodder and a good guy, he reads the magazines that are published today.
    He OBVIOUSLY wasn't hanging out at Famosa in the 60's! Welcome to the HAMB, listen and learn.

EVL401, Roothawg, AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  22. I had the Blair's Anglia at the NHRA Museum. A guy came up and said nice "Angela" (Uh that's a girl's name dude) but it can't be a real Gasser. I asked why not "Because it sits too low". I replied well it set both B/Gas records at both Irwindale and Lion's so I'd have to disagree. He just shook his head and walked off mumbling that I didn't know my own car.

Attached Files:

EVL401, AHotRod, bengeltiger and 5 others like this.
  23. Pretty sure that Hustler III is a modern build. There is no way that thing would pass tech and the 24" to crank centerline rule.
    As for the Catch Me If You Can Willys, Doug Gray built that as a street car in the early 70's - the Street Freak era - He even showed it at the Oakland Roadster Show. And the shape of the front fenders makes it seem higher than it really was.
    ;)

falcongeorge likes this.
  24. I said TEN THOUSAND TIMES, the NHRA rulebook said the cat MUST sit level, the front CANNOT be jacked up, the crank centerline can't be more than 24 inches! Cars got higher, but LEVEL, because of spacers and bigger tires. Many of the photos are of cars leaving the line where the worn out shocks allow that travel!
    Don't believe me? Look at the rulebooks for the 60's!
    All drag cars were getting too high (except dragsters), made for dangerous handling. Hence the rules!
    But THEY WERE NOT JACKED UP super high in front IF they ran NHRA.

25. Big pat on the back for the guys standing up for the TRUTH!

And I'd like to punch the that marketing person at ET Wheels who called those 5 lug ten spokes 'gasser wheels' because (a) they are not and (b) all the modern sheep seem to think they are the go-to wheel to build a 'gasser.'

AHotRod, brad2v, Max Gearhead and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.