Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I think you’re right on the Long car not running until 67/68. The build was featured in hot rod for a few issues in 66.

The willys I posted earlier is definitely a unicorn in a herd of horses. And yes the rear tires are 8.75 racemaster dragsters. The article says the 57 Chevy rear was narrowed 10”. This car also had disc brakes and coil overs on the front end...way way ahead of its time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gammz, Pufff, egads and 1 other person like this.
  2. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I believe that it was Henry's Machine that could successfully shorten [and re spline] axles with some kind of longevity and then they were the first to produce new axles for racing; again with some longevity and a grantee no less..Maybe Summers Bros were next..But as was stated the Gas budgets were low; racers were willing to take a chance on breakage, axle wise, or more coin the engine; had to spend enough on engine to be competitive..I also believe some wheres in Gas rules the tire [rear] were allowed to stick out of fenders up to 2/3rds of the tire width to get around the expense/breakage [most axles were cut and welded not the most dependable] of narrowed axles..I also think the Olds axles in Olson car were shortened and re splined for the chev axle gears which must have cried [or broke on occasion] on launch..

mad mikey, Pufff and loudbang like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

nit pick: They are not coilovers, they are overload shocks. There is still a transverse leaf spring.

Quain Stott and loudbang like this.
  5. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Look at the transverse spring...no shackle, so the coilovers (overloads) are the suspension.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Henry was one of the pioneers in the custom axle world for sure, in the late 70's I had an ex pro stock Maverick that came with Henrys' axles, they had a twist in the splines that concerned me so I asked around and was told that was common, was told they were done twisting, just run them, I never had enough horsepower to hurt them anyway.

mad mikey likes this.
  7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I think that 90° of twist was the limit but that was by a line painted the length of the axle, taken from the bowels of my memory. With in the splines them selves maybe one spline or so, more than that and I would start to get nervous..

loudbang likes this.