Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Unfortunately my intake is no where near correct!
    Miscommunication with the engine builder.
    Runs too good to change it now.
    Maybe down the road in a couple years.

023.JPG 022.JPG

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

And another from Ralph. A couple views one has been reconditioned :rolleyes:

ridgerunner.jpg ridgeway ram 2.jpg

greasemonkey54 and II FUNNY like this.
  3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bobby Larson ran one on his 57 Chevy X-Rated. When he turned it back into a street car, I bought the set up and put it on a 67 Camaro I owned at the time. Looked great with the carbs sticking trough the hood, but the local police did not like , and actually wound up selling the car because of the harassment.
    That same manifold surfaced about 10 years ago, and I had a chance to buy it back, but passed on it. Now I wish I had bought had bought it back. Be a nice piece of history to own.
    X-Rated.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  4. I wish the 6x2 intake was in my budget. Mine will be a single 4 barrel at the beginning.

Got my original rear out and the front disassembled

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Any of you guys around in the gasser heyday remember what size diameter pipe was used for the rear bumper was there any rules as to how big it could be

6. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

It was run what you brung, depending what strip you ran at as some cared and some did not on small items like the bumper tube size

loudbang likes this.
  7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks Don I didn't think there was much to it just wanted the pipe bumper on my Willys to be right

8. Pipe rough.jpg

I used 3" which is 3 & 1/2 outside. It came by the foot so I went 4 foot.

loudbang and greasemonkey54 like this.
  9. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

055.jpg DSC_0055.JPG IMG_4371.jpg

10. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I had to weigh 3000 lbs so I had 700 lbs in the trunk with 3 large pcs of lead and a buss battery, all bolted to a 2 foot 3/8 thick steel plate welded in between the frame rails

Then 2 yrs later in 66' they lowered the weight from 9 lbs to 7 lbs per inch, and I had to take it all out and used the standard sized battery with a water tank to keep it cool with the small Crosley radiator

Just hit the switch and turn on the bait tank pump and the temp would come right down, for the next run

So I could use the stock bumper re plated for a more stock look to the car

DND

gearheadruss and Baron like this.
  11. Larry T

Larry T

Back to tunnel rams for a second. Carroll Caudle was running his version of the FI based tunnel ram in 1966.

bowie and II FUNNY like this.
  12. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

Most times about 3" inside dia. With screw on caps, to add or remove weight as needed.

13. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks guys for the info I looked into buying some pipe and the 3" looked right 4 was way to big in my opinion the silver dollar pickup is so awesome I got to see it in person in Arizona a few years back but I couldn't remember about the bumper when I get it done I'll post some pics

Baron likes this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

In a 55 shivalay.

15. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Now if only a Rochester base wasn't so expensive...

Larry T likes this.
  16. hal cooper

hal cooper

If you can come across a hilburn injection for a big block Chevy fairly complete I have exactly what you're looking for and need Iill trade you I have a wianed 1967 3 piece tunnel ram with dual Holley 660 center squirters that have been converted to 85 dated 1966 from a 427 Ford all in brand new condition bolt right on and go I'm thinking about changing over to Hillburn injection so I don't have to cut the vent out of my car

17. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

You must be going to run real short stacks...I have a complete Crower straight stack injection for a BBC set up on eBay now. It ain't even close to fitting under the cowl vent. There is a link in the eBay adds in the classifieds section.

loudbang likes this.
  18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I used 3" on mine as 2.5 looked small

19. hal cooper

hal cooper

Thanks for that information I have not been on eBay in a while I'm using the ham app I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture of my car then you can see what I'm talking about

20. upload_2016-1-7_13-54-28.png was time to replace the compressor so I went bigger!
    A MUST HAVE!

21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG] http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg87/blown392/york 025_zpsln0bdzzt.jpg
    Wrenchbender Mine is 3&1/2" driveshaft tubing. I turned some pipe caps on the lathe for the ends and made the brackets out of 3/8" plate. I made and sold over 20 of these a few years back.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Going back a few years (!) I'm reading both fallacy and gospel!
    I also take note that a large percentage of posters are 'banned'...
    I was 'banned' at Fremont Drag Strip. (later 'Baylands')
    I went too fast...:D

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  24. I used 3 inch pipe and capped the ends with welded on 1/8 inch plate on my non gasser truck. 102_6008.jpg 102_6043.jpg

25. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I emailed Mr. Ralph Ridgeway, and he said he started running carbs sideways in 68...I'm not sure who's car the modified Rochester is off of, or when it was taken.

26. Tenacious A

Tenacious A
    from Willis Tx

I think the time I grew up confuses me. What I thought were gassers were 70's Street Freaks

27. Larry T

Larry T

"Gassers" (as racecars) were not specific looking car. A competitive gasser from the early 60's did not look like a competitive gasser from the early 70's and they changed even more by the time the class was killed in the early 80's. They changed every year to stay competitive and get an edge. Technology changed and so did the class.

"State of the art" and "hot set up" ruled the class.

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  28. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

I was teenager in the 70's, but being a gearhead kid raised by gearheads, I knew those weren't gassers.

29. manicmachanic

manicmachanic
    from Berwyn, IL

You are absolutely correct! So I don't know what "period correct" is. Since rules could change as a car was being or already built. Or not even built yet!