Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasser ladder bars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruizznn, Aug 21, 2012.

1. cruizznn

cruizznn
    from ohio

I would like to make and install a set of long ladder bars on a 40 willys gasser. It has the original springs and a 9" rear axle under it, also the original axle and springs in the front. the car won't be raced, only street use. I have been told by someone that using these on a leaf spring setup and having them quite long, I can mount them with just heim ends at the front and at the axle and the shackle will have enough movement to compensate for the arc of the rear axle going up and down. Another fella says I cannot do that and the axle would need to float or I will have windup. in this instance who is correct? maybe some of you could school me what you have done on a leaf spring axle or have some pics? I want them quite long. thanks

2. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

I will sit down later and write out the details but ladder bars on a leaf spring run into binding issues. look at the Mopar leaf link systems of the late 60's early 70's , they use a slider on the spring to prevent the leaf spring from binding . the problem in a nut shell is the 2 front pivots (bars and springs) have 2 different arcs of travel and will bind at some point as the arcs cross .

3. This, COMPETITION ENGINEEERING housing floater kit- part # 2030

Attached Files:

4. drumyn29

drumyn29

does the same apply on a drag car leaf spring gasser willys?

5. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

It will bind no matter if its a race or street car. Something has to give or you will have almost no suspension movement. Thats why back in the day they used 1/4 elliptic springs with a shackle to the housing.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  6. violet springs

violet springs

Yes the bind is the same on a street or drag car. What happens is the the leaf spring pivots from where the non shackle end is attached to the frame and the ladder bar pivots at the front mounting location. The arc of the spring not being the same as the arc of the ladder bar will bind the suspension as the rear tries to move through its travel.

7. violet springs

violet springs

1/4 elliptic springs with a shackle to the housing.

[​IMG]

8. metal man

metal man

That's the set-up right there^^^^

9. metal man

metal man

Had to add this picture:D

Attached Files: