Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasser Hauler Chevy truck has bent front axle.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy Gasser, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

After years of trying I finally bought the 1 1/2ton Chevy truck that hauled the gasser "Mr. Chevy". I have been documenting and disassembling the truck that now needs nearly total restoration from years of outside neglect. The truck with the car on top was wrecked in 1976. It was a near head on side swipe. Now, with the front end off the truck and the motor out for rebuild, I can see the front axle on the left side is bent back about 1 1/2" or so. I would like to replace it but those axles are not easy to find. Our own HAMB's Cutlassboy68 has a '56 Chevy truck but it kind of looks like a 2 ton, if it is, it will be heavy and he is 500 miles away. I just pulled a '58 Chevy truck front axle of a dual wheeled truck but it must be a 1 ton, it is too light. My question is: Does anyone have experiences or comments on straightening the bent axle? I know of a shop that says they can do it. I know guys will re-forge car axles, are trucks the same only bigger? There are pictures and the story of the car and truck on my website.

2. F&J

F&J

Axles are real good steel. It can be fixed and still be safe as new.

3. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

An older gentleman, (in his 70's so He had LOTS of experience doing this), in Milligeville ILL. straightened the front axel in my Cameo. It had the drivers side end pushed back about 1 1/2 inches. He used a hydraulic press and did not heat the axel up, to straighten it. I had the axel mag'd afterwards and it checked out O.K. However, the truck isn't finished yet, so I don't know for sure how it turned out. Attached is a pic after my 55 was totalled.

By the way....Your Mr. Chevy 55 Chevy would be very cool at the Byron Meltdowm. :cool::cool::cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  4. Never had it done but I am guessing if a solid axle can be "dropped" there shouldn't be any issues straightening one.

5. squirrel

squirrel

6. squirrel

squirrel

7. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Shouldn't be an issue. Im a heavy truck tech, and for years we used to bend the axles to adjust camber.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

All forged axles are straightened cold.

(Ford axles have more resistance than GM or Chrysler: Fords are forged with Chrome Vanadium)

9. 6-71

6-71

that axle should be an easy fix for any shop that does heavy truck work.I worked in a frame shop for 39 years,and did lots of straightening.the axle must be straightened cold,no heat.If they want to heat the axle,run away and find someone who knows what they are doing.:D

10. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Hey Torkwrench,
    This is uncanny, the damage to the truck I am working on is nearly identical! Good luck with your project.

Thanks for the advice, I found a big truck repair shop in St. Louis, about 45 minutes away. I asked if they could straighten the axle. The guy never hesitated. He said if it is driveable, bring it in, they could fix it. However, I have the axle out, he not a problem that way either! Larry

11. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Gasserfreak,
    Is that a '54 Ford Skyliner in your avatar? I built a AHRA modified production out of a '54 Ford Skyliner.

12. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Thanks Larry. Do you have any pics of your truck? It is very cool that the truck and Mr. Chevy 55 have been reunited. What was the rest of the truck like? Was the frame or cab damaged very much?

13. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Yep, I bought it from Unclescooby several years ago. It's out of the midwest I think he found it in Indiana. That's funny beacause it was a 60's or 70's race car when scooby got it, but he built it into a gasser. It was a M/P or Stock class car(don't remember which)

14. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Here are a couple of pictures back in the day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Update on the truck. I took the axle to a truck shop, they said they could straighten it. For some reason they said they decided they couldn't. I have a 50T press and figured what the hey, I'll try to straighten it myself. Less than 2 hrs later I had the axle within 2* both caster and camber. I hope that is close enough because I am going to try it.

16. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Hey! The truck has 55 Chevrolet tail lights too. I'd like to find a 55-59 to make a ramp truck also. Butch/56sedandelivery.