Register now to get rid of these ads!

gasser front axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sardo_67, May 26, 2010.

1. sardo_67

sardo_67

i was looking around google for a front axle for my truck. i'm going for a gasser look and i found this forum and the shakey puddin thread.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230636

i'm looking for some info on the axle he used....
    "
    As you all know, a common question here on the HAMB is what axle to use for a gasser. The Speedway and MAS axles seem to be popular.

Most of the serious racers I talked to advised against a mild steel axle on a heavy tri 5 Chevy. Especially one that may wheel stand. I've heard many say that they can and do BEND.

An east coast gasser racer gave me the number for Jim Tinsmith (Tinny) from PA. After a few conversations with Tinny, I was sold on his Chromoly axle. Jim is a long time racer and fabricator. He said they come 53" king pin to king pin. 2" O.D, quarter wall, and zero drop. After seeing the Speedway axles and how narrow they were, I'm glad I bought the axle from Jim.

Here it is with Chassis Engineering spindles and Wilwood brakes:

[​IMG]

I have another buddy who got me a wholesale price from Wilwood so I stepped up and got the drilled rotors and polished calipers. They fit the early Ford spindles.

They spindles are forged pieces from Chassis Engineering. I wanted the strongest stuff possible since I knew my car would be driven hard."

2. munciemike

munciemike
    from WI

What info are you looking for? I bought one from Tinny after talking to Shakey. If you keep going through that post, Shakey does have the phone number for Tinny so you could call him direct. Really nice guy to talk to and full of knowledge he's willing to share

3. sardo_67

sardo_67

that's what i was looking for, i way to contact him and what he sells them for. i'll keep looking. new to the forum so i'm still kinda lost

4. Jim Tinsmith (Tinny's Hot Rods) 215-453-7999

5. Altamont

Altamont

I know I'm reviving a very old post. Does anyone know if Jim Tinsmith is still around building straight axles? Tried to call that number a couple times over the past couple days.

If not, does anyone have a shop for a straight axle suitable for racing? I don't want to touch a Speedway kit.

Thank you.
    zak

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I can build anything you need, its basicly a wide sprint car axle
    310-768-3163

gimpyshotrods likes this.