Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasser Axle...I'm confused

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drgnwgn289, Oct 1, 2003.

1. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

Ok, since nobody wants to buy my 55, I guess I'm gonna build it. I've looked over every inch of the Gasser Madness website and as far as I can tell there are two schools of thought on the whole straight axle thing. You could either go with parallel leaf springs like from a 50s pickup, or you could go with a transverse leaf springs like the old fords. What are some of the pros and cons of the two differnent setups? The transverse method would be lighter right? but would it be strong enough to support a 55 chevy post with a 500 caddy and a turbo 400. Also, what are these axles that I keep seeing that are absolutely straight across, are they home made?
    Thanks,
    Jake

2. plan9

plan9

i think it would support a big inch cadi... they are, (give or take a few pnds) about 60pnds heavier than a small block chevy... are you going to use a glass front end?

o/t, what rpm range are you going for? [​IMG]

3. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

about 2400-6000 rpm range I think. I don't think I'll be using a glass front end unless someone gives me one and installs it for free [​IMG]. This is gonna be a really low buck deal...I hope. I wasn't worring so much about the raw weight of the motor, I was really wondering if it will take the abuse that is associated with pulling the front wheels...
    That 390 that you're pullin out...that wouldn't be a '63 would it?

4. carkiller

carkiller

MAS is a distributer for a lot of stuff including lower dollar front ends including gasser style straite axles. They run a add in rod and custom. I bought mine from speedway motors. Cal

5. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

Cool, but what does MAS stand for and do they have a web site?

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Jake,
    I would strongly suggest using 2-leaf system. As to were you can get a "straight axle" and the rest of the components, go to www.speedwaymotors.com and you will find the straight axles as well as the 4" dropped ( which I used under my Willys) and the spindles, king pins, etc. If you need to talk to someone who did just what you are talking about, let me know. I'm a member of the Gasser Madness, and one of the other members did his '55 last winter, it's way cool.

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Jake,
    This is what his '55 looks like leaving the starting line at the Thompson Dragway Gasser Meet this summer.......

8. Lownwuf

Lownwuf

MAS stands for Minnesota Auto Specialties.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I talked with a guy at Macungie that duplicated his brothers 55 gasser. Radiused wheel wells and a Chevy van front axle set up from the early 60's. Greenbriar was the Corvair van. I forget what the Chevy van was called. There were an ass load of 'em runnin' big block Chevys with no problems.

10. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

That's so rad. What motor does he have in that 55? If I go with the two leaf system (thats the way I'm leanin) I think I might use a chevy truck ('53) front axle...I have a few of them already.

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

Jake,
    The '55 has a 427 Chevy, 5 speed, Olds 4.56 gears...has run 9.80ET...

12. plan9

plan9

[ QUOTE ]
    about 2400-6000 rpm range I think. I don't think I'll be using a glass front end unless someone gives me one and installs it for free [​IMG]. This is gonna be a really low buck deal...I hope. I wasn't worring so much about the raw weight of the motor, I was really wondering if it will take the abuse that is associated with pulling the front wheels...
    That 390 that you're pullin out...that wouldn't be a '63 would it?

[/ QUOTE ]

if those dudes at the cad hi-po shop can pull a 4800pnd, 70s cadillac to run mid 10s, AND pulling the front wheels off the ground, im sure its doable [​IMG]. you would just have to really beef up the valvetrain and bottom end. dont think that will be cheap

if i understand my stuff correctly, cars that pull the front wheels usually have a deep rear gear (4:56 and up) with a high stall (3500 and up) ...is that the gearing you are going to run?

the 390 is from a 60 cadi, another hamb'r owns it already [​IMG]

13. plan9

plan9

Ahotrod, awesome pics man

drgnwagon-mike L. here has the parallel leaf setup in his 57, if no one answers, perhaps you can shoot him a pm,

14. Are you sure that is from Thompson?

I'm there every weekend and have yet to see a black Christams Tree! It is white and made out of wood. I stand at the line right behind Denny (the tree guy) Looking for stuff dripping/falling and all sorts of strange stuff that happens between the burnout box and the tree.

Last Sunday it was a rod and wristpin from a small block just past the 60ft mark [​IMG] and a rearend explosion from a Camaro [​IMG] that had the same altitude as that 55.

If that pic was from Thompson then you'd been on the spectator side looking towards one of the bridge abuttments and a storage building not a guardrail.

Oh well1 Who cares.... that 55 is cool, gassers are cool, hemis are cool, old Willys are cool, and my friend Barb Hamilton is cool (Does anybody know who she is?)

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Here's another view of Erik's '55

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

Curly..... Yes, We were at Thompson, June 6,7,8 ...and Yes I know Barbra Hamilton, she and her hubby were their also!
    What a great weekend, and YES, next year will be #3 for the old Gassers......

17. Lionheart

Lionheart

Drgnwgn.... Just in case ya want to get in touch with MAS in St.Paul, heres some #s.PH:651-644-6811 FAX:651-644-1635

18. I knew that wasn't Thompson in the first photo. But it is (without a doubt) Thompson in the second photo! Photo #1 has a 505 Participant # and photo #2 has a 177 participant #. Photo number 2 shows him picking up his time slip on the return road.

Saw Dick and Barb Friday nite....she either has no clue what she is to dragracing or handles fame quite well. She is one class act in my book.

I'll be at #3 (Was at 1&2) we'll have to hookup! I love working the tree back to the bleach box area, the sounds and smells are enough to get a three day adrenaline buzz going!

Sorry for the temporary highjacking of this post. I let go now! [​IMG]

19. Hey Draggin , I own three gassers , all w parallel leaf setups and have owned 3 others w the transverse , NEVER again ,WAY to unstable for me,parallel leafs are the way to go ,at least in a street driven car, I almost got killed once 'cause of a transverse setup coming into a curve well below full throttle when the thing lifted the pass side front wheel and hit a dip, off into a tree I went,got a scar on my gourd to this day,another issue is bump steer, big time on both setups unless you use cross steering tie rod setup,Carlson 55 rocks!,He is a member of my gasser site as well as gasser madness.

20. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

No worries Curly, thanks for all the great info so far everyone...Here's the car that I'm starting with. I dont' know if I'll really race it like in a class or anything right off. I want it to be street legal (or close enough that cops won't care). [​IMG]
    Anybody forsee any problems with using the truck axle?

21. want me to take yours off of my for sale site?

22. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

Mike,
    I guess it's still for sale if somebody wants to buy it before I start (which won't be till summer). I forgot to thank you for putting it up on your site in the first place...Thanks

23. no problem ,I'll put up any HAMBr's car there for free, all I need is a pic, price and a phone number and/or email addy.its free so what the heck,it gives my readers something new to look at and maybe buy.
    One more thing -to run a transverse axle on the street you MUST have a sway bar, which negates most weight savings.

24. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

Mike,
    have you ever used or heard of someone using a chevy pickup axle, like about a '53 or so? Your story has convinced me not to use a transverse set up...and I already have the pickup axle, springs and steering stuff.