Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gasser 4spd transmission

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ratrodjay, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

2. You are correct on all counts here. I have a close friend that has a clutch flight that he ran in the '60s. Now it sits on the shop floor, he won't sell it (he might loan it). But he won't run it anymore. he said aside from everything else, without the torque converter there is nothing to take up the shock, so if you get good traction something has to break.

I have not run a Lenco type tranny but I was aware that they are a big old parasite. For me it is just a wants one thing. I may actually build a big horse/torque mill eventually. Well maybe if I discover that someone forgot to write me out of their will. ;)

Baumi likes this.
  3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Lenco's are cool for sure but will slow a car down with less than 2,000 HP. Like you said they are parasite even on high HP engines but the trade off is they don't break. Anyone that don't believe how much power they rob just have one setting on the bench pull all the sticks back to high gear and try to turn the input shaft.

porknbeaner likes this.
  4. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

If I was going to use any 4 gear tranny it would be an 18 spline A833 Mopar hemi transmission that been modified as a slick shift....These were used from the factory in A body hemi superstock cars back in the 60's...If not this then maybe Ford toploader....But always modify them as a slick shift...

loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  5. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Those are good transmissions and if done right hold up pretty good.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

What is the bellhousing of choice when running a SBC and a Ford Toploader ? I have an old McCleod for street use, but I need one with current cert. Thanks.

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  7. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

In my 55 Chevy I ran the snot out of a BW T-10 that was originally mated up to a FI SBC 272 (punched out 265) it all came out of a '37 Ford - old local drag car.

Attached Files:

8. 6sally6

6sally6

They built gassers after 72................I saw'em!!
    6sally6
    Lencos-make-me-erect!!