Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasoline -

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58ClubVictoria, Jul 25, 2011.

1. 58ClubVictoria

58ClubVictoria

What is the best gasoline to use with our older cars?

2. squirrel

squirrel

like, we have a choice? I just use whatever comes out of the cheapest spout in town.

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

It depends a great deal on your compression ratio. 8:1 or below will run on pretty much anything, but a lot of V8s from the horsepower era need Sunoco Ultra, or more.

4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I run regular gas in my ZZ4, which has dual side draft webers. No ping. For the last 4 years, it's been fine. Stu

5. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Im thinking that the OP mean what brand...

6. Standard gas&oil

Standard gas&oil
    from USA #1

I mix 100 octane from the airport "avgas" with 91 pump Chevron in my 11-1 327. Works for me.

7. Larry T

Larry T

One without alcohol in it.
    Larry T

8. George

George

Bingo on that, E-0 if available & not outrageiously priced.

9. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

It's kinda like beer.

Stolen is the best, after that, free.

Beyond that, they are all the same.

10. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

What age are you talking about?
    Cars built before there was unleaded gas had softer valve seats than those built after unleaded was marketed.
    cars needed the lead to lubricate the valve seats.
    Any competent engine builder now will use hardened valve seats for use with the unleaded gasolines of today.
    Now depending on the miles you put on an older engine, you may not experience any engine failure related to today's gasolines

That said, only really high compression engines benifit from high octane gas.
    Most of us can get along with the 87 octane or the lessor expensive..

Ethanol will not hurt most engines (although some carb bases have failed)but will get lower miles per gallon than non ethanol gasoline.

11. 110 octane leaded racing gas will work fine..

Now for the serious answer: just run whatever comes out of the pump, you don't really have much options besides what octane level and if you can get gas without ethanol in it. Most older engines, except higher performance with high compression (say 10.5 or higher), will run fine on pump gas. Buying higher octane than the engine requires is only costing you money.

12. SLCK64

SLCK64

Dont run E85 unless your fuel system is built for it. If you are running a low compression engine 87 is fine. Higher compression needs 91/92. If you run premium on a low compression motor you may be hurting performance.

Also BP and Shell premium are non-Ethanol gasolines.

13. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

E-o... At all cost.

14. Brewton

Brewton

If you still have stations that have no ethanol in their gas ... use it. Doesn't matter what brand... it's all the same. If you are in an area that all stations have ethanol, buy some stabil green to mix with it..... especially if your car sits for any periods of time.

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Exactly, well at least for me.
    <<<<< I run this thing on 87 and it don't ping and she ain't stock.
    One needs to know the differance between cly. pressure and comp. ratio to understand that one.

16. 58ClubVictoria

58ClubVictoria

Good thoughts from all! I have always used premium preferably without ethanol and I seem to have good results and it looks like everyone is pretty much doing the same thing.

17. eddie1

eddie1

Chevron Supreme in my area is 94 & is E-0. Use it in everything except my lawn mower, & the way that's running despite a recent tune-up I may switch that as well.

18. BlackLion

BlackLion
    from Nashville

Is it worth driving 9-10 miles to get ethanol free gas, or around the corner for the modern stuff?

19. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

So you have a V8 w/ ?4? DCOE carbs?
    I need to see this, i looked on your profile and searched a little on your threads but couldnt find a picture.
    Side draft carbs are beautiful and its very rare to see them on V8.:cool:

20. Jimm56

Jimm56

Don't use the junk from the corner convenience store. It's re-blended pipeline interfaces with questionable additive packages. Stick to major brands, fill up at busy stations to get the freshest fuel and drive it like you stole it :)