Register now to get rid of these ads!

gasoline smeel in the car!!!??? help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1939STREETROD, Feb 2, 2010.

1. 1939STREETROD

1939STREETROD

got a 64 T bird that has a bad gas smell in the car when driving...replaced the vented cap, checked the tank for leaks, checked the sending unit area, checked the gas line....new carb with no leaks, fuel pump no leaks....how can i get rid of it????...help...cough

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Use a lighter.....you'll know when you find it.

3. how about the hose between the gas cap and the tank? maybe the rubber hose is cracked

4. Are you sure you didn't feel it too fool last time you got gas?

5. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

lay off the taco bell. That shit will kill 'ya.

6. 1939STREETROD

1939STREETROD

sorry, i didn't realize i misspelled SMELL....anyway, the lighter trick didn't work, i love taco bell, and YES, i checked the tube rubber - it has a vent tube and hose - think a vacuum line to a charcoal filter from a late model would suck the fumes in?

7. I'd recheck what you already checked.

also, how is the car running? A misfire or too rich carb will pump unburned fuel into the exhaust. If you have an exhaust leak, you will smell gas. Even if you don't have an exhaust leak, it will make its way into the cabin.

Some fuel leaks are leaking in the right place to boil off really fast, so you may not see wet spots. Look for clean spots, or discolored paint.

8. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

the tank straps on my old galaxie provided a good spot for rust to occur on the tank and i could smell gas but couldnt see a leak until the holes got a lot larger. you may want to check the sending unit gasket too if you can

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

My truck use to smell like gas too and my wife didn't like the 'gas smell' on me after I drove it. So I said, fuck it, I'm going to replace it all with new and I did, but converted it to run on propane. No more gas smell and no more comments, runs great too.

10. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

check base of filler neck

11. fleetside66

fleetside66

I had that problem with my '66 truck & it turned out to be the weather stripping at the back of the hood. Fumes we being sucked in through the grid in front of the windshield. Once I replaced the weather stripping & the old carb the interior smell stopped. Just a thought.