Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gasoline reacting with single stage paint. What the...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Jul 13, 2018.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

[​IMG]
    I over filled roadsters gas tank (Tanks Inc.) and after setting in the sun in the parking lot yesterday, fuel leaked under the gaskets at the sending unit fitting. The single stage urethane blistered, wrinkled and lifted on the tank, frame rail and spreader bar. It's minor damage as far as that goes, but I've never seen paint lift like this. Crap.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Just a guess but you have to consider that your modern gasoline is something like 10% - 20% ALCOHOL.
    Alcohol cuts paint.
    Jimmie

loudbang, belair, egads and 1 other person like this.
  3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

loudbang likes this.
  4. Did it lift the primer also? HRP

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

There must be something wrong with the curing there.

10-20% alcohol is roughly the Scotch and soda standing here to the left of my keyboard. It's going down my tender oesophagus a bit at a time. If a cured paint finish can't handle a spill of that it has no business being used as an outdoor finish.

jazz1, slayer and tb33anda3rd like this.
  6. pitman

pitman

Methyl, and Ethyl.
    Not twins are they Ned?
    Fraternal?

7. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Who the hell drinks Scotch with soda.
    Don't let a Scotsman find out.

8. all the fuel did was amplify an existing problem. it should have never done that. the new urethanes will handle fuel better the old lacquer and uncatilyzed enamels.
    how was that prepped?

ct1932ford and loudbang like this.
  9. Who the hell drinks Scotch !! ;)

zzford, akoutlaw and lonejacklarry like this.
  10. atch

atch

When I bought my first Harley (used) the po warned me about getting gasoline on the tank paint, saying it would do exactly what you said. I have no idea what type of paint was on the tanks or who applied it or how.

So you're not the first victim.

It's a shame, though. Such a nice car.

loudbang likes this.
  11. indyjps

indyjps

Just a guess, lot of fuel tanks are galvanized, or similar finish. If this wasnt prepped or etched the paint may have a very light bond.

loudbang likes this.
  12. oldolds

oldolds

Sometimes gas just does that. I have had lots of vehicles with the fill through the side. Almost ever pre 75 truck. Every once in a while that would happen.

loudbang and 3340 like this.
  13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Clearly the frame rail is not galvanized, the paint lifted there as badly as the tank. Single stage application per Nason tech sheet, all Nason products. 2k primer, sanded and prep as usual, epoxy as sealer then color. Come on guys, the paint lifted with prolonged exposure to fuel leak. It's not a prep issue...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I agree it is not a paint issue. Had it happen to 3 Hobby member cars when they overfilled and it expanded in the Florida heat.

loudbang, 3340 and egads like this.
  15. Rckt98

Rckt98

As asked, is it just the top coats that have lifted or the primer as well?
    I have seen it happen with lacquer but surprised it would happen with a 2K finish.

16. mountainman2

mountainman2

That's what you get for being "non-traditional". Everybody knows that no hot-rodder back in the day could afford to fill the tank, much less "over filled"! :eek:

17. pitman

pitman

Rckt98: Wonder if the primer bond is the issue?

18. Rckt98

Rckt98

You may be right. I am not a painter but own a paint store that until recently sold automotive paint (PPG). We have dealt with a lot of painters and DIYers over the years.
    My understanding with lacquer anyway, is if you used a 2K primer in the build up stage you should use a single pack (lacquer) primer over that before spraying the top coats.

19. kursplat

kursplat

a hose and milk carton, who said they paid for the gas ;)

loudbang and mountainman2 like this.
  20. mountainman2

mountainman2

I resemble that remark......;)

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Ha! That's it! I have too much money! :p Painting this over will help get rid of that pesky extra cash, and I won't be able to fill it again! And yes, the primer lifted, and the factory prime on the tank. And my primer on the frame, and the epoxy sealer.

loudbang likes this.
  22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I told ya not to add that hydrazine to the fuel! :p

Justin McIntyre and pitman like this.
  23. Exactly ! Drink it straight, Glen Levitt.

akoutlaw likes this.
  24. rocknwrench

rocknwrench

Looks like a prep issue.I dont see primer, so at very least, paint itself is not to blame . Also , no good comes from overfilling a gas tank.

25. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Haven't seen it mentioned but how old is the paint job? I had some lift on a pickup and the body shop that I took it to to fix it said the paint had not sufficiently cured before it got gas on it. I know the paint was at least 2 years old! When I told him that, he said it was cured on the surface but if anything gets under it for several years it will lift. When I asked the cure, he stated nothing left their shop without a complete baking and even then he advised not to fill the tank completely for 6 months minimum.
    SPark

loudbang likes this.
  26. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Scotch was meant to be drank on the rocks!

warhorseracing and loudbang like this.
  27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Of course by "soda" I don't mean koeldrank, i.e. fizzy soft drink as the term is used in North America. Actually it was carbonated spring water, but it's not the point, so I didn't go into that kind of detail. And it wasn't any remarkable sort of whisky, either, so no harm done to it.

But trust the Scots (or rather the ancestors they share with the Irish) to invent dehydrated beer ... :)

Methanol is irrelevant in the present case. The stuff that is in fuel is the exact same stuff that is in whisky, i.e. C2H5OH, or ethanol.

Of course it could be a fuel issue, because the petrochemical fractions in modern fuels might be almost anything, as they scrape the bottom of the barrel of crude, as it were. I'd suspect the mineral volatiles, the benzenes and toluenes, that stuff.

28. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Whisky long predates practical ice-making. In fact Scotch was originally meant to be had with a small amount of fresh water. As I say, it's almost literally dehydrated beer.

29. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

That's what the "rocks" are there for. I keep my Scotch & Whiskey in the freezer. :)

30. kursplat

kursplat

i like how there's two completely different threads going on here :)