Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gasoline magazine from Sweden

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Moriarity, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sondre sent me a copy. Bitchin article on the history of bubbletops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Moriarity translate what it says for us - please! :D

Stogy, Moriarity and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Swedish is a little rusty, but I think it says "Bubble tops are cool."

4. Very cool. I remember most of those from magazine coverage here in the U.S.A.

Stogy, lothianwilly71 and Moriarity like this.
  5. fortynut

fortynut

The problem with bubble tops is they are good for creating a green house that generates an excessive amount of heat. That everyone of that era did so, with the same results, is an example of monkey see, monkey do. None of them devised methods to create UV protection is incredible; considering the investment in making one. I would like to know if anyone ever did. Or created any self darkening studies, or even made one to fit inside another and sealed the space between and pumped a tinting liquid inside. Or, added heating elements.to make them warm. I know their use is a prime example of form over function but, there would be extra value if a stronger than steel transparent material could be used for a combined windshield/top. Having an awesome field of unobstructed view for the driver certainly would have advantages. And if the top could act as a solar electric cell and heating/cooling element would reduce some the elementary devices to a single unit. As to keeping it clean, perhaps the outer shell could act like a Sonic washer. If the chassis was a monocoque forging the weight could minimal. But, then again driverless cars are coming and the romance of a motorcar will be like talking about a stagecoach. Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    williebill likes this.
  6. Eh-Bone

Eh-Bone

Ahhh W.T.F.⬆️

Baumi, loudbang, partsdawg and 3 others like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They certainly have their place in the Hotrod/Custom scene...it wouldn't be complete without them.

Great coverage from across the pond from another powerhouse of all things cool...Kustomrama.

Thanks for sharing the Jetsons edition @Moriarity...some wild rides to be sure.

Moriarity likes this.
  8. @Moriarity Don't you mean "Gasoline" Magazine?

Very kool! I'll have to get me a copy!

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Cool they included the Futurian!

Moriarity likes this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

duh... I'll fix it, thanks

Sancho likes this.
  11. AndersF

AndersF

Not often i find something this easy to read here on Hamb.:D

AHotRod, Stogy, Max Gearhead and 4 others like this.
  12. Stooge

Stooge

From the thread title, I was expecting some fart jokes, but I guess pictures of bubbletops are cool too!

Swedish magazine SPEED
    Screenshot_2018-07-04-10-02-32-1.png

13. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. fortynut

fortynut

I once visited "Big Daddy" Roth at his home where he had a small workshop. He was working on another of his Creations that was to follow the '34 Ford style trike, that was refused entrance to a Street Rodding event because it was not 'really a Street Rod' even though it had a grill that looked like one, was rear wheel drive and powered by a Porsche engine. This was a case of arrogance on their part, because it was his idea of what a Street rodded version of aa'34 Ford would look like, because this man was a visionary who adapted real world materials to his own purposes. At the time I met him, he was using carbon fiber and a special synthetic liquid with a hardener to lay it up in the same manner the tubs for some of the formula one and Indy cars were being done - as a monocoque structure that included attachments for adding the suspension parts. This one, too, was going to be another trike similar to his '34 style Creation. I think it was intended to be as roadworthy as the one prior to it, that he drove to Alaska and back. Does anyone have pictures of these? I remember the earlier one used an abbreviated plastic windshield of formed acrylic, that came from his knowledge in making the other domes. My point in all this is his evolution in the variety of uses of the modification of forms from purely artistic with the show cars, through his love for trikes into a combination of the two. As an artist Ed "Big Daddy" Roth was a visionary. His approach to was practical and at the same time far out of the box. Thanks.