Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gasket Material

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pontiacres Ranch, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

So Im laying under the 56, just got all them metal all swabbed out of the housing, the Center Section is ready to go in. I couldnt find a gasket through the parts stores. I really dont want to wait till the parts stores open in the morning & the remains of the original are a thick golden paper. Should I wait and get REAL Gasket material, or plot one out on the vinyl cutter and make it out of the back of a notebook pad with the thick cardboard/paper? My friend George Killian says card board.....but I figured Id listen to those who arent drinking as much.

Thanks!

Ed Evans
    56 Pontiac 860 2 door wagon.

2. If it's not in a location that is unreachable, I would say to do the cardboard. I'm guessing you are referring to a rear end. I haven't made a gasket for one of those yet,, but I have made many an engine gasket out of manilla folders and cardboard. I haven't had a problem yet. Hope this helps, good luck.

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

You've got to be good if you can duplicate a differential gasket with all of the holes and get it installed without tearing it. If that's possible I'd go for it, just use a good gasket cement on both sides.
    Besides, if it leaks , those babies are a piece of cake to pull apart and do it right the second time.:rolleyes: :D

Frank

4. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

If you can find it use some rubber impregnated cork sheet.

5. Paul2748

Paul2748

Just remember - there must be a thickness speck on the gasket so the center section (this gasket?) doesn't stick out to far. Maybe a wait is better.

6. i was reading the chevy ones were made that way so 3rd member sat in certain position?

7. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Thanks Guys! Yes, I am talking about the Center Section/third member to the housing. Whats left of the original is not any thicker than a manila folder. Im also going to plot and make new Axle retainer to backing plate gaskets, they are the same thin material.

Ed

8. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Thanks Again Guys, I just scanned the old Backing plate gasket that goes between the Axle retainer. Took the scan into Illustrator and did a cad drawing of it. Sent that to the Vinyl Cutter with a Manila Folder in the cam Rollers rather than Vinyl. Hit Cut and cut out perfect replacements. Next is the Gasket for the 3rd member/center section to the housing.....Ill be rolling in the Five6 tomorrow.

Ed

9. InPrimer

InPrimer

A friend of mine made a gasket from a 12 pack bottled Miller beer. still in the car

10. So glad to see most of you guys using a gasket like the parts were intended to
    be used with.cardboard works very well..Anything is better than the poor excuse (silicone)..They need to ban that stuff....just a lazy mans excuse for not
    doing it properly....Wonder what Henry Ford would think of silicone?????

11. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Diff is in! That Pig is heavy lying under the car pushing up and tryin to get the 1st bolt started at the same time. Next....be rolling in time to cruize to a kids birthday party & Shame my buddy with the 51 Merc into getting it out this year!

Ed Evans
    56 Pontiac 860 2 Door Wagon