Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas tanks /turbo Pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lakesmod, Oct 29, 2003.

1. lakesmod

lakesmod

2. Machinos

Machinos

What kinda engine is that?

3. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

What are you up to with that setup?

4. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

What's the turbo from? What are your plans for it?

5. Rainer

Rainer

jep - more infos of that car please

6. lakesmod

lakesmod

Machinos-The engine is a Chavy 292 L-6

Levis Classic-The tanks are called NATO cans and I just want some thing different in that deptment.

Deyomatic-Volvo truck,I want to make it into a blower.
    A while ago I saw this idea on the net(turbo to blower) and now cant find it .

Rainer-More pictures at
    www.danielstrohl.com/fred.html

7. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

So you want to adapt a pulley for it and run it off of a belt? Sounds cool but I would worry about the belt pressure messing up your bearings. The first thing to check on a turbo to see if it is good is shaft wobble, and it would seem that the constant stress on the shaft would loosen it up in a hurry. Maybe your website addressed that already. I also think a turbo has to spin at a much higer rate, like 40,000 rpm, so even if you underdrove the hell out of it it doesn't seem TO ME that it would work as well, but then again, I'm no expert. Just something to think about. I would think it would be easier to make a header to adapt that turbo to and you're done.
    Have you made any mods to the carb, like to the floats for the blow through application?
    I think it will be killer when it is done. Good Luck.

8. MoFoMOD

MoFoMOD
    from SO CAL USA

I love those NATO tanks on there! Good Job!

9. lakesmod

lakesmod

Deyomatic- I want to use the "blow through" set up but don't know what all to do to the carb. Is there a "kit" to pressurerise(sp) it?
    Have you ever heard of using a turbo as a blower?

10. Bugman

Bugman

A centrifigul supercharger is basically a belt driven turbo. It's got some serious gearing inside to convert engine RPM into the 40-50,000 needed for the blower. Turbo's run anywhere between 40,000, and 120,000 RPM depending on size, boost, etc, and they won't do nuthin below 20,000. I'd think to belt drive a turbo, you'd need a huge ass semi turbo, and run really tight tolerances in it, but even then I don't think it'd work.

The easiest way to convert your carb for blow through is to put the whole thing inside a sealed box, with sealed grommets aroung the fuel line and throttle cable. That way, it works the same way it always did, just with higher static air pressures(like 20 at 6 psi boost, as opposed to the 14 of atmospheric pressure). To just run a tube straight down into the carb, I think you need to modify the emulsion tubes, air bleeds, float bowl vents, power valve, and some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Did any of that make sense?

-Bugman Jeff

11. Bugman

Bugman

By the way, I like the gas tanks. Mind if I steal your gas can idea somewhere down the road?

12. lakesmod

lakesmod

Bugman- Thanks for the information but this idea of turning a turbo into a blower is hard to shake with me.
    The turbo is from a Volvo garbage truck,8 liters I think.
    Feel free to use the NATO tanks idea anytime.
    Fred

13. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I've never been able to understand how your throttle cable is going to be able to slide and allow you to operate the throttle, while it is in what is supposed to be an air tight box. I'm sure a grommet of sorts, but then the throttle runs the risk of getting hung up, right?

I know if you DON'T make a box, you need to change the floats to ones that arent hollow, and there are a couple other things to do, that I can't remember. There are books at Barnes and Noble and Borders that cover Turbocharging. There is also a certain Holley book, (mine is on loan now, so I don't know the author) that has a chapter devoted to turbocharging the Holley.

14. scotth

scotth
    from Austin, TX

If you just blow thought the air horn, you'll need to remove the choke and seal off the hole where the linkage passed though. You'll also need to use solid floats, as the pressure can actually collapse the hollow ones. I've never seen anyone use a vacuum secondary carb, but I imagine it would work just fine as long as you plumb a boost reference line to the back side of the diaphram, so it "sees" the same additional pressure as the air charge. (Just like a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator) Again, never seen it done, just seems like it would work to me...

15. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Oh yeah, why do you want to drive this off of the belts? Turbos have their own advantages. I don't think you rob as much power driving the turbo, you won't NEED a muffler of any sort either, the fins should take care of MOST of the noise. Lag sucks, but it is kind of cool at the top end, it sort of "sucks" you down the street bacause the "seat of your pants" dyno rises exponentially. Just modify your exhaust manifold and figure out the blower stuff.

I also agree with bugman, I don't think it would be a good idea to do the blower thing. The bearings and everything are too precise, and if you mess them up, you need to send it out to rebuild it, so that the turbo shop can spin it at 120,000 RPM. And since most Turbos are associated with the import scene, their shops charge big bucks.

16. scotth

scotth
    from Austin, TX