Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gas tank sealer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by reggiedog, Jul 20, 2011.

1. reggiedog

reggiedog
    from wisconsin

O.K. Guy's got a little problem I sealed my model a gas tank last week end with the eastwood sealer kit for 20 gallen tanks and I set it out side today for an hour. I thought it would harden the sealer but all it did was make it run off. So now I have a big mess in the tank. What I need to know is for one how do I get it out and reseal the tank NOT with the eastwood sealer. But can you guys tell me for one has any body had this problem befor with eastwood product's and can you tell me what type of sealer to use is there one out there that will not run. And the model a tank's away's get hot even with gas in it. I did set it outside with out any thing in it. But it shouldn't have run like it did. So now what do I do to get it out and reseal it. But can you tell me what to use that won't run when it get's hot with water in it or not. Please let me know what to do. thanks reggiedog

2. pimtina

pimtina

I've used this with great successhttp://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm
    Take your tank to a radiator shop and have 'em clean it out first!

I see my link didn't work. Google caswell and you'll findit!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  3. Willy301

Willy301

I have never seen one run off, I have used Creme which is a product popular with motorcycle enthusiasts and the red plastic stuff, the name escapes me at the moment...I think, if you followed the procedures in the directions, an absolute must, then you need to get on the phone to Eastwood....You might have gotten some bad or old material

4. sixbangr

sixbangr

I just did this on Monday. Will have to see how it holds up. Red Kote, ebay, $30 shipped.

5. reggiedog

reggiedog
    from wisconsin

I did it right to the letter and I had help doing it and he was reading the instutions to so I know we did it right never had this happen before. But if you go on eastwood web site and read the reveiws some guy on there had a problem with it to. So I don't know what to do. Let me if there's any thing beter out there. Thanks reggiedog

6. mj40's

mj40's

Maybe you should call Eastwoods techline for their opinion. I would also ask to see if it's friendly with todays ethanols or any sealers for that matter..

7. BlackLion

BlackLion
    from Nashville

I'm going throught the process with Red-Kote now. Chain in the tank to remove lose rust, rinsing with gas then acetone. That alone made a ton of difference. I will be coating it tomorrow, then I'll try to post before and after pics.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  8. I think you will need to talk to a tech guy at Eastwoods to see what will remove it. They may come to the party on fixing it.
    I used the tank sealer for Model As from Macs Auto. It worked like a charm. Here in NZ we dont have ethanol, so I dont know how it will hold up with your gas, but it works for me.

9. Cerberus

Cerberus

First, next time, do a search. There are many threads/posts on this topic. I stuck the wand at a self serve car wash in the tank, and soaped it up real good...to no avail. The chain in the tank ain't gonna do it. I put a chain in the tank, shook it 'til my arms hurt. No good. Put 100 drywall screws in the tank, shook it repeatedly. Not good enough. Used the POR 15 gas tank restoration kit. Looks like it did the trick. Check out before and after pix.

Attached Files:

10. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i used red-kote as well, did the chain thing, used toilet bowl cleaner, then brake cleaner, then "red-kote" let it dry till smell was gone as the can said, that took 3 days! but it did work really good.

11. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

i just did the tank from a 27 studebaker,inside looked like a thick rubber coating about 2"thick on the bottom.stink? OMG the rottenest fuel ever?rust?oh man.
    eastwood's kit worked great.i sloshed,i waited,i sloshed,i waited,three four,five times.
    poured out the excess and let it cure.i dont plan on putting gas in it for a while,my understanding it is ethanol resistant too.it turns kinda white when dry.
    i did it out in the sun,used compressed air to help the curing.only a few psi through the tank.

12. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

I have done a bunch of bike tanks using Creame Coat,with great results. Find it at most bigger bike shops.

13. BlackLion

BlackLion
    from Nashville

The chain in the tank(or anything, screws broken window glass,gravel) is only to remove the flaking rust on the walls. I probably poured out enough rust to fill a 16oz glass. You have to seal it after the cleaning to get the best effect.

14. Blacklisted

Blacklisted

Man that looks good, I think I will go with the POR 15 stuff. Looks like it did a great job.

15. rodl

rodl

You can use POR 15 they also have a removal product - however, DO IT IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA -it is HIGHLY CARCINOGENIC! after cleaning thoroughly you need to rotate the tank 360 degrees several times to ensure it adheres to all surfaces - NOT just the bottom! rodl

16. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

I used the por15 products as well. Followed the instructions for cleaning, prep and sealing. Worked great. I threw nuts and bolts inside to help remove the rust but it didn't do squat. Had a hard time getting the nuts and bolts out with the baffling in the tank. Would up sealing one of them in there.

17. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I used the POR-15 system a couple of years ago on several tanks for myself and others with success and the same result as in the other pic.

If it helps anyone to know another way to Jiffy Pop shake the tank. I made a cradle using rubber bungee cords. I was doing a 20+ gallon tank and there was no weight to deal with other than lifting it up to hook the cradle overhead. Then I put in the chain and started shaking. There was enough slack in the cradle to tilt at all angles rotate completely over and back.

Works great for me...............

P.S. The cradle works well for getting a good even coating inside too. You can let the cradle hold it where you want while looking in the sending unit opening to see if it's flowing right...........

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  18. fleetside66

fleetside66
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did just about everything in my build myself, but the gas tank (from a 1924 Federal-Knight truck) I took to a radiator shop to deal with. There were two anti-slosh baffles in the tank, so the radiator guy had to drill a couple of small access holes in the back of the tank to make sure it was done properly. I can't imagine that a chain would do the job. He used Redcote to seal it & after a little over a year, everything is cool & copasetic. There was some residual red color to the gas for a couple of months, but did not seem to have any negative effects on anything.

19. marman1950

marman1950

I have used Kanter before and there gas tank sealer worked great as well.

20. zmandet

zmandet

For cleaning out fuel tanks? Search on here for the thread on Vinegar......you won't believe how well it works! I did a 35 gallon tractor tank, then POR 15's U.S. Tank sealer.

21. sunbeam

sunbeam

I do several tanks for people first you need to clean them I use a hot tank but a good comerical soap will work then to get rid of rust a mix of about 1 part muriatic acid 5 parts water. You don't have to fill the tank just keep turning it so the mixture covers the rust area for an hour or so for top bottom sides and ends. do this in a vented place you will have hydrogen gas coming out the openings. Wash out and let dry and coat.