Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas tank repair on 52 Pontiac?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donzie, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Donzie

Donzie

The gas tank on my 52 Pontiac has a small leak.
    When I got it the seller told me about it. I seems someone had tried to repair it. It had some kind of patching compound (looked like wood putty), I removed the biggest share of it and found the tank had a few small holes in the very bottom middle of the tank. The largest being about a 1/8", the others look like small cuts. In all they are in about a 3" area.
    Is there something I can do to patch these rather than replace the tank? I'm hoping to do this without removing the tank.
    In the worse case is there any other tank that I could use to replace the old one?

2. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

You have a few options
    I have some J&B Weld applied 2 years ago still holding on a corner of my 74 tank
    And I have successfully used a 25 watt soldering iron and a lot of lead to patch
    A tank on a friend&#8217;s bike that was over 12 years ago hasn&#8217;t leaked yet

3. Donzie

Donzie

I tried JB Weld, 2 applications (a day in between each application). I thought it was set up good, poured some gas in the tank, a couple days later it started leaking again.

4. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

I did the J.B.Weld trick on a gash in a tank about 18 years ago and it ain't failed yet. Area was about 1/16th wide by 2 inches in length. Area being repaired must be (1) clean, (2) dry . One application and let it sit UNMOLESTED for 24 hours,drive it.