Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas Tank Leaks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58Darlene, Aug 29, 2010.

1. 58Darlene

58Darlene

I purchased a fuel tank about 2 years ago from Inline Tube, and tonight while fueling er up the couple next to me told me I was leaking fuel. At firdst I didn't believe them but then I heard the trickling. I looked thinking maybe my lines were loose, or my drain plug was loose. Neither were true, however, it seems that it is leaking from the front seam. Has any one had any experience with these guys or had this happen?

2. I checked out the Fairlane in your album, nice build and pics. For what its worth , have you tried to contact the company where you purchased the tank? If no luck there, you can try some of the radiator repair shops, although most are shying away from working with tanks that had fuel in them, some still do. There are some very good epoxy's on the market that actualy work, follow the instructions regarding prep to the letter. Remember, this is a last resort. Good luck.

3. HD74

HD74

If you can't get satisfaction from the manufacture, try a tank sealer. I've sealed all my gas and oil tanks on my bikes, so when my attention turned to my truck with a 60 year old tank. I thought if works on the bike why not the bigger tank. So did some research and I ordered a tank cleaner and sealer product by KBS. The three step process instructions were simple and straight foreword. A friend and I were able to go through the whole process in about 6 hours. Should be good for another 60 years. Good Luck.

4. 58Darlene

58Darlene

After I posted this, I took another look at the ole' girl. I may have posted this with a little too much haste. The gasket around the sending unit looks to be shot. So, when I was filling er up it ran down the front of the tank. So, no problems with Inline Tube. However, is there some sort of "plumbers putty" i can put around the sending unit after gasket replacement tha would still enable me to get to the unit if need be but also act as a sealer?