Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas tank cleaning Question. using Chain method

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SLAMIT, Aug 4, 2004.

1. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

When cleaning a gas tank with a length of chain in it, has anyone ever heard of the chain causing sparks and the tank exploding. Any info helps. I have always thought of this as a good way to clean a tank and my brother is affraid to do it to a gas tank.

Thanks

SLAMIT

2. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Good question.While it is probibly a rare occurance,the possibility exists. I have heard of using gravel,then a good water-detergent flush is a safer practice. Good luck, and be careful! Glenn

3. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

i have tried every thing under the sun but have found it best to send it out to a tank/radiator shop and have them clean and seal it.

4. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

i had to go to 5 different radiator shops down here before i found one that would touch a gas tank, and I had to talk him into doing it. Seems like no one around here wants to do them anymore.

5. geemann51

geemann51

Eric, when I did mine, I put in about a quart of non petroleum based cleaner/water. I then sloshed it around, then I added the chain. No chance of an accident that way. Also, I had best luck buying the braided type of chain at Home Depot and cutting ito about 6 12" pieces. Does an ok job, but if the tank is questionable, best off to the hot tank. Shoot, your half way there after you invest in the chain and a good chemical liner.

I'd stay away from the pea gravel though, I have heard of horror stories about the minute particles left behind accumulating for a big fat fuel line clog. It makes a lot sense. Just my .02.

6. slammed

slammed

Local biker dude used ball bearing's in his cycle tank's.

7. moondisc

moondisc

I use gravel.
    Tarp strap it to the wheel of my tractor, jack it up and let it turn in low gear.

8. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

I went through the Ford barn in Appleton Wisconsin and got a cleaner and a sealer for my gas tank. So far I haven't sucked anything up and it was an afternoon job.

9. bigron

bigron

[ QUOTE ]
    I use gravel.
    Tarp strap it to the wheel of my tractor, jack it up and let it turn in low gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have a friend that cleans them with small gravel and sand and mounts it on his tractor. works great! i've used navel jelly in a bike tank.

10. My 41 pontiac tank was full of rust. First thing I did was turn the hose in it to remove all the loose shit. Then I dumped in a gallon of water and a gallon of muratic acid...sloshed it around every 10 minutes or so and did this all afternoon. Rinsed it out with the garden hose and let it dry in the sun all day. Used a quart of the Speedway Motors tank-seal and let it sit 2 days...works great and only cost me $20 for the tank-sealer and aout $5 for the acid...

11. rodrelic

rodrelic

I used crushed stone and water/green clean degreaser. I had baffles and thought I might not get the chain back out
    [​IMG]