Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gas tank clean and sealing tips and tricks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harrypairatesties, Dec 20, 2020.

1. harrypairatesties

harrypairatesties

I have a 28 roadster that I need to clean and seal the tank on anyone have tips or tricks products they have used thanks so much in advance for the patience and advice for a newbi

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To cure any moisture problems in your tank, just add a small bottle of alcohol to a full tank.

harrypairatesties likes this.
  3. I've used the Eastwood Company gas tank sealer kit on motorcycle tanks before. Check their website for what they may have. I would recommend the kit I used, but it might take two for a car tank depending on size. The kit includes 3 parts, a cleaner, an etching solution (to help the sealer adhere) and the sealer itself.

4. I took the tank out of two of my car to a place locally called gas tank renu
    They did a fantastic job on both and less cost of buying new repops.
    I’ve head good and bad reviews on the do it yourself kits.
    Seems the biggest issue is getting the tank sealed and cleaned thoroughly

5. ............That's the key. The tank needs to be completely clean for the sealer to adhere. No shortcuts.

6. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I agree with what has been said in previous posts except one. Gas Tank Renu totally destroyed a tank for a friend of mine, they bludgeoned holes in it and then blew the tank up with compressed air which deformed it so bad it would not fit the car. They patched the holes they put in it with some cheap plugs that looked like a three year old fixed it.

I have had excellent results by using KBS products, follow the instructions, make sure the inside of the tank is perfectly dry before sealing and the tank will be sealed forever. I have used this process on some very rare vehicles for a well known collector with no issues.
    https://www.kbs-coatings.com/

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

A Model A tank has so many baffles in it that is very difficult to slosh gas tank liner everywhere. More than likely there will be bare areas where gas will get under and lift. Just place a new gas tank elsewhere on the car.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Find a old skool rad shop and have it hot tanked

9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I have a new tank and I'm thinking on getting it sealed before installing. This is the fourth new tank in three years. They all leak at the seem or the filler pipe.. If this doesn't work I'm getting the RCI fuel cell...

10. uncle buck

uncle buck

I have had great success with the POR-15 gas tank sealer kit. It is critical that you follow the directions carefully or you will have a disaster in your hands. It is a long slow process to use it though. Oh, and in case you missed it, following the directions is the key to it working or not. If you try and fast forward the process and not let it dry out it will peel off in sheets.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940, jaracer and RMR&C like this.
  11. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Great thread . I learned a lot