Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas shoots out when filling the car at the station

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tricky53, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Tricky53

Tricky53
    from Bend, OR

I have a problem. Whenever I fill my tank with gas, it will shoot out of the filer neck when the tank gets full. I even have the nozzle set on the lowest setting when I fill it up. What can I do to stop this? I want to drive her down to Vegas for Viva this year and will need the tank full when I "fill'er up". I know people are going to say "just guess at the number of gallons and only put in that amount.". I would rather fix the problem. Its the stock tank and also the stock filler neck. I didn't care too much until she just got bodyworked and painted. Please help.

Attached Files:

2. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

You should have a "vent tube" sorta thing that runs up along side the filler tube, and back to the neck to allow air to escape...it might be plugged or collapsed.

But, even 35 years ago my '57 Chevy PU would burp some out:)

3. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Check the filler neck connection hose to the tank and make sure it's not collapsed.

4. yep!!!!! sounds like collapsed filler neck or pinched or plugged vent, some have been known to have a charcoal canister and when that gets filled (sometimes from topping off frequently) it wont let any air escape so it burps fuel back out the filler neck , take both hoses off and canister if ya have one and make sure thy both breath freely, no kinks or hard bends when it goes back together, good luck

5. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Had the same thing on a street rod with an aftermarket filler where the cap was about the same size as the nozzle. We added a second tube for venting from the base of the filler tube. Fixed it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

olscrounger likes this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think that's just how they work... my old 49 Chevy you had to watch it, it wasn't like a newer car where you stick it in and wait then it shuts itself off... either that or mine was messed up with the same thing yours is and I never bothered to fix it.

7. Yep, my 41 was the same way and took forever to fill very slowly, the vent hose had actually clogged and also dropped bellow the tank so it would spill out. Raise above tank and make sure it is cleared out. Good luck, easy fix bro...

8. txturbo

txturbo

charcoal canister? I don't think so....check the vent.

9. rjr9603

rjr9603
    from WV

My 50 Belair does it eveytime, unless you fill very slowly. I have pulled the vent tube and installed new tube and filler neck. I guess todays pumps are too fast. I have changed everything I can.

10. bobscogin

bobscogin

Yup, not enough vent. Air pressure builds as the tank fills because the air can't escape rapidly enough, then you get a big burp at the end as the tank pressure overcomes the fuel in the neck and blows it out. If it was a filler neck restriction, it wouldn't take gas quickly at any point in the fill up.

Bob

11. Spiders are notorious for building nests in fuel vents. Locate the vent, rod it out with something and see if that helps.

Bob

12. gas pumper

gas pumper

sometimes the angles that the elbows make are preventing gravity from doing it's job.

sometimes the station aprons are not exactly level and that makes things worse, or bettrer.

sometimes you got be a Bubba and carry a 4x4 that you put under the left rear tire to help the angles.

13. Even our 2008 Dodge delivery van will burp gas and has the vent tube,,,you just need to slow down the filling when you near the top. HRP

14. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

The 49-54 tanks do not have an over flow or a baffle.
    There is no baffel in that tank, so when it fills the air and some fuel is pushed out, I would guess modern gas pumps flow alot faster than back in the day, which is what really causes the problem, gas going in faster than the air can escape. Because when you fill it slowly, this doesnt happen.

Godspeed
    MrC.

15. rjr9603

rjr9603
    from WV

I have a new poly tank with a vent and still does burps in my 50 Belair as stated earlier. Only way I can avoid it is pump very slow. I agree with the thought that todays pumps flow too fast for the set up.

16. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

My mustang tank "leaks" from the cap (vented) and you can hear the pressure releasing most of the times when i undo it, but it doesnt do this, so over all youre lucky. LOL

17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Older cars were built for larger gas pump nozzles. Unleaded gas uses smaller nozzles.

When you use the small nozzle in the larger filler on your car, there's not enough backpressure to trigger the automatic shutoff on the pump. Result= overflow if you're not paying close attention.

18. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

My Buick does that too. I just listen when filling it. You can hear when the gas is coming up the tube and about to come out.

bill gruendeman likes this.
  19. Tricky53

Tricky53
    from Bend, OR

Right on, lots of info. I'll check to see if there is a vent tube. If so I'll make sure its not clogged or bent. Hope to eliminate the problem. I really don't want to screw up the new paint. Thanks everyone.

20. 270ci

270ci

That's exactly with my 54 Chevy after I discovered the problem the first time. I know I looked kinda odd bent down with my ear close to the fender while fueling, but extra careful filling is the only way to keep from overfilling on these cars.

21. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Happens on my '55 Chevy truck all the time when I try to fill it too fast. Vent tube and tank is brand new, still happens. The vent tube as designed simply isn't big enough to displace the volume of air trying to escape. I fill it slowly, and it works fine. Just takes a little longer, no big deal.

olscrounger likes this.
  22. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isn't it illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon? :eek: ;)

Chris

Kodak Jack likes this.
  23. ken bogren

ken bogren

Happens with my 63 Falcon all the time. Got to allow extra time to stand there with the gas just flowing as slow as possible. Then watch for outflow to tell you the tank is full.

I keep a rag handy to wipe any spillage off the paint.

24. So how do you get around Oregon's no self pump law? As everyone has said it is a venting problem and may also have to do with the rubber sleeve around the pump nozzle that is supposed to shield the Oregon environment from those dastardly gas fumes. If you push the nozzle all the way into the filler tube that sleeve may further block air from escaping until you get the burp. I have the same problem even with new tubing. I've found that if I don't put the nozzle all the way in and leave a gap between the sleeve and the end of the filler tube I can sneak up on it and not put $2 worth of gas on the pavement.

25. Tricky53

Tricky53
    from Bend, OR

I am usually allowed to pump my own gas cause the person is usually afraid to do it for whatever the reason. Anyway, whoever does it, I make sure its on the lowest setting and it still splashes out pretty bad. As soon as I can, I'll check the vent tube and see if it helps. If not, maybe a custom tank with modern fillerneck?

Kodak Jack likes this.
  26. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Yeah, that's how I fill up my 55 Chevy. Just listen for the gurgling in the tank, and then top it off slowly. My 55 does not have a separate vent hose for the gas tank.

27. 270ci

270ci

Well ya, but then so is exceeding the speed limit. Stupid law though, because if you're a member of "key card" commercial fueling deal, you have to pump your own, and at a lot of public stations, if you cruise in with a nice car they hand you the filler nozzle because they're afraid of scratching or screwing up something on your car.

28. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

you can't pump 20 gallons of gas into a 15 gallon tank! Don't overfill, simple.

29. 68vette

68vette

Yeah....those gauges show you exactly how many gallons are in that tank when we fill up.....start watching and paying attention guys and using that calculator....Whats the matter fo U.

30. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

what's wrong? Can't use common sense? If you know your gauge isn't accurate, then watch the meter on the pump and don't try to "fill up". I have had many cars, starting with my Nomad back in the 70s with non-working or inaccurate fuel gauges so I knew to be careful not to put too much gas (especially if the gauge wasn't working at all) I used common sense and I never ran out of gas.