Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas Ronda, Drag Race Legend, 81 years young

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mazooma1, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Hey John, good seeing you here. Do you think you could post some pictures as the originals from this thread have go to the way side.

Thanks in advance
    Gary

2. oj

oj

Dick Walters (Dick Walters Ford/Hubert Platt) was in the shop the other day and we were talking, he said they could win about anywhere 'except for that guy out there in California, Gas Rhonda. Now he is tough!' You could hear the respect in his voice and his dimeanor changed from casual to all business when he thought of Gas. I think it was the competitor in him speaking. Dick is 79 and in great shape.

Model T1 likes this.
  3. ronda racing john Ronda

ronda racing john Ronda

i will see what i can do . ronda racing wishes you and all NHRA fans merry xmas.

mad mikey likes this.
  4. ronda racing john Ronda

ronda racing john Ronda

yes he was very tuff guy all about the NHRA . When his funny car went up in flames with him in it no one thought he would make it. i remember him in the hospital he said they think i am going to die but i am to mean to die lol when the NHRA gave him his life time award i was there in bakersfield he went to the stage and said i thought maybe you all forgot about me . me and my family cried like babys he has class. gas with the class my dad .

mad mikey likes this.
  5. MistShift

MistShift

John, Merry Christmas! Please tell your dad for me thank you for turning a 7 year old into a lifelong car nut. Those cars ruled and I thought a drag racer named Gas was the coolest (still do).

He may get a kick out of this... whenever I had a substitute teacher in school, I would sign the attendance sheet "Gas Ronda"... heeheehee :D

I once did that and heard his name called to the principals' office..three times! I just about wet meself.

Cheers
    JC

6. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I would love to see some pics of Gas Ronda's drag cars! As a young teenager in the 70's and a huge drag racing fan, I always liked the Gas Ronda cars.

7. ronda racing john Ronda

ronda racing john Ronda

that is a great story my dad would crack on that one i will pass it on merry xmas

8. ronda racing john Ronda

ronda racing john Ronda

that is very touching i am still learning how to reply on this webb page . Give him our best from ronda racing john ronda

9. Floyd Staggs

Floyd Staggs

John,
    I'm still waiting to see if Gas has any pictures of that first AC Cobra racing my Corvette back in late '62 or early '63 at Pomona Raceway.
    Floyd Staggs

10. lawdog

lawdog

Gas was my main ford hero back in the day ! He, bonner, brannen , tasca, dyno and others carried the ford flag with class and distinction !
    I used to run a 1962 "406" galaxie. I understand that gas campaigned one for awhile.

11. marlowemar

marlowemar

Ronda was my Ford hero driver back in the day. I recently finished building diecast model of his longnose Mustang in 1:18 scale
    [​IMG]

Model T1 likes this.
  12. That's bad ass dude!

13. hillbilly jim

hillbilly jim

Hey Marlow.
    Good to see ya over here.
    Jim

14. poss51kustom

poss51kustom
    from ohio

Great posts here. nice to hear Gas is alive and well.. I was very fortunate to see him race at the 64 Indy Nats.... I don't think the was a better four speed driver than he was.
    Long live Gas

15. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

I worked with Gas Ronda's son at Boy's Mkt in Azusa, CA 30+ years ago.
    His son's name is also Gas.

16. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are a couple of cars Gas raced prior to the Thunderbolt...

The '62 406 S/S:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The '63 427 lightweight...

[​IMG]

17. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

The NHRA museum had a coupla things going on late last year (2013). He was there at the Orange County Raceway reunion I believe (coulda been the Prudhomme/McEwen movie).
    He looked great....for any age..!

Mike

18. Doug,I realize this is a old thread but I think you and I had a great admiration for two Drag racers of our generation Gas Ronda was yours and Gene Cromer was mine.

Both made a indelible mark on impressionable guys like us..Gene is 82 years young and is racing his Willy's this weekend in Knoxville,Tennessee. HRP

19. Floyd Staggs

Floyd Staggs

Gas Rhonda passed away late Oct. RIP Mr. Rhonda

20. grapeboy

grapeboy

I remember seeing Gas Ronda at the Half Moon Bay drags in 1960. He had a 3-speed column-shifted SS Ford. He was up against all the 4-speed floor-shifted SS Chevys. He blew their doors off all day.
    I was so happy to see Fords beating Chevrolets. It hadn't happened in a while.