Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical gas peddle hookup question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clips221, Sep 26, 2015.

1. clips221

clips221

I'm getting closer on my 37 Ford pickup. the next hurdle is what gas peddle assembley to use. I'm running a 327 engine with 3x2 rochester carbs. the throttle linkage is on the drivers side of the engine. I have the original linkage which connects on the passenger side that could possibly be modified. I also purchased a universal spoon peddle (arrived yesterday) that is for use on the drivers side hookup. If I use this new style I'm guessing I will have to cut a slot in the floor for the peddle arm to go through when accelerating? Anyone got pics or what style are you using? What are some other options?
    any help is appreciated

2. F&J

F&J

Don't know if it helps, but I did a 40 Ford with early Olds motor with 3x2 Rochesters...

The 40 linkage was on the passenger side of the firewall like what you described. My center carb had a very long shaft sticking out on the passengerside, so I used the main old Eelco lever on that side of the carb. Then made a linkage to fit the Ford firewall part that has the ball-end, then forward to the Eelco lever arm with the stock Eelco linkage end with the pin and cotter.

My center carb shaft was long enough to have all the carb linkages on the passenger side.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

What spoon setup did you buy ? Usually, they just bolt to the firewall and the cable or rod passes through a hole or slot. Not sure why you are involving the floor. Post a picture of your pedal setup.

Don

4. F&J

F&J

The only pic I have of the 40 with linkage all on right side, and using original Ford firewall link

[​IMG]

5. The after market spoon pedal in my truck used a cable,I believe I got it from Lokar. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
    clips221 likes this.
  6. So you do or don't want to use a cable? with a straight rod you will have a large hole due to engine movement.
    2x^ very clean look. I ran mine under the firewall cover.

7. You can slot the fire wall and articulate the pedal arm to go through the firewall,I did this on my Deuce sedan but I'm at work and don't have any photo's of how it looks on the computer.

As for the original pedal,it's not too hard to heat,bend or shorten the arm to work on the drivers side of the carburetor. HRP

8. F&J

F&J

On my 32, I used most of the original Ford pedal parts, but that cross-shaft on the outside of the firewall that used to go over to the right side, I shortened that shaft to have a driver side pull on the carbs.

I think you must have the firewall cross-shaft on your 37, so I would look to see if you can cut/reweld the lever from the right side of that, to be on the left side of the cross-shaft. But I don't know 37 style, so I don't know if you can move it over enough.

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'd look into the Lokar pedal and throttle cable assemblies.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

In my '34 pickup (327, AFB, left side) I used a '67 Buick setup. Nylon cradle inside a square steel box, 3" square. Mounted with 2 bolts diagonally, right thru the firewall. 5/8" square hole located the cable grommet, 2" bracket keyed and bolted onto the base of the AFB.
    Pedal pad looked a little "G.M. Street Roddish," so the steel arm got a stainless steel teaspoon cup welded to it. Sanitary and cheap.

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On quite a few 40's I have used the stock throttle set up. Cut the shaft off the pass side and weld to the driver side. works very well. Just have to make sure the angle is right. Just did one.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've run the Lokar setup too, it works very well, but on my 27 they were not available when I originally built it, so I ran a rod from the universal Speedway pedal through the firewall to the carbs. I only had to make the slot about an inch long to clear the rod as it moved in and out. Works pretty well.

Oldscrounger is right, the old trick was to cut off the arm on the stock assembly and weld it back on closer to the drivers side to line up with the carb. Doesn't take long at all to do that.

Don

13. I've been doing them in a similar way; but I cut the stock arm off above the spring, then extend the arm to the original length and weld it on the left side. I like to use the Offy ends on the original pivot ball, looks more old time to me. Cut the rod that comes with the Offy set-up and make a temporary mock up rod. When everything is sorted out, I make a new 3/16" rod with L/H and R/H threads.
    Pedal.jpg