Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas pedal tight Pics Needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porkchop4464, Jan 2, 2013.

1. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Hey all,
    Hopin to get some ideas and pics from/of some three pedal cars that have a tight floor plan and what you all did to make three pedals fit well. I had a pretty tight set up in there with one pedal when I was going with the 700 R4; but since I got the man. 5 speed now, and have been working on pedals as a result, I keep coming up short on the gas pedal room. My car is channeled about 5 inches and I didn't step the frame down/up in the front (don't like the look), so I was hoping there are some pics and ideas that could shed some light on my tight situation (pun intended).

Car is a 30 Dodge that I sectioned 6 inches out of the center, since they are a little wider than the Ts and As to begin with. V8 small block, 5 speed nv 3500 trans . All ideas and comments will be appreciated.

2. tb33anda3rd

tb33anda3rd
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

don't know if this helps but i have a friend of mine who wears small boat shoes when he drives his car, so his feet fit.

3. fleetside66

fleetside66
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could experiment with notching the trans hump, which is not uncommon. I did this to mine & it's totally comfortable to me. As I go from the gas to the brake pedal, it's very smooth, even though the movement entails lifting my heel up about an inch. I don't think about it....it's very natural.

[​IMG]

4. btt

I have the same problem.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. bobscogin

bobscogin

I put a T5 in my T roadster and hung the clutch pedal under the dash.

Bob

Attached Files:

6. fleetside66

fleetside66
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, Bob, that's very similar to mine, only no definitive notch. Really, the position of the steering column dictates the positioning of the pedals. The tightness of the foot space does indeed create some thinking outside the box. It's amazing what a person can get used to given the chance. With hot rods, that's paramount. Porkchop, don't be afraid to experiment with this...you'll be O.K.

7. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Thanx guys! I really dig the cut out in the tunnel. That there is food for thought and what I will probably end up doing. One of my big issues is my steering DD shaft. I want to make sure that the brake and gas pedal are on the same side, where as my clutch is on teh other side of the of the column.

Fleetside, you have me sold on those holes in you bed rails. That is tuff looking. Did you use hole saws? Also, I notice your clutch is a lot higher than your brake. Is that how you fabbed it, how it came as an assembly, or how the adjustment just worked out. Currently, my pedals are all about flush with one another, but once I get her all together, I am sure things will shift as final adjustments for each are made to the pedals.

8. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

BobScogin, and Fleet S both your set ups looks pretty darn close to mine, except that my tunnel is about 8 inches higher. I think I just have to tightin things up and make it all close and accept that it is what it is.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred

My gas pedal is about 4" from my brake, so I wear Chuck Taylors. They are light and keeping your foot small is the first step. I don't see how guys drive these cars with lumber jack boots on. I've been meaning to make a foot stop, but always get side tracked. Those help too.

A little planning, like you're doing now, will yield results.

10. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

I hear you, TFever. A little planning often is the best medicine for all issues in life-- not just hotrods

11. Skeezix

Skeezix
    from SoCal

12. My '37 plymouth coupe. I trimmed the clutch pedal (left side) so I could mount it "more left". Then I trimmed the brake pedal (left side) to create more room between the pedals. I made the gas pedal assembly last. I will get some small shoes this spring:D. Good luck!

Attached Files:

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Look up pics of littlemans coupe, deaths doorstep

14. id have to hang a clutch pedal under the dash in my coupe to when i convert to manual.theres nust no room in these things.

15. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

[​IMG]
    heres what I just did with mine. I also wanted to keep the gas and brake pedal on the same side. couldnt fit the spoon pedal so I just hugged the tunnel with the gas pedal and cut the brake pedal pad down. plenty of room now

16. Scumdog

Scumdog

I am running a 460in my '37 Ford, I had planned on running '39 hydraulic pedals but as the car had fire-wall mounted master cylinders I have no idea where the pedals come through the floor and my firewall/transmission hump have been ah, 'altered'.:D
    So can anybody post a pic of the factory floor near the steering column so I know how things are meant to be?

BTW: Our steering is on the right-hand side over here so it's not the gas-pedal that's the awkward one!

17. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Here is how I did the pedals in my 27 roadster. Gary:D

Attached Files:

18. L79_Acadian

L79_Acadian
    from canada

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Try putting 3 pedals, and a bar from a rollcage, into a 33 Willys,there is less room in this car than either my 23 T Bucket or the Model A sedan that I built.There is about 8" from the edge of the tranny tunnel to the edge of the roll cage.

19. fleetside66

fleetside66
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I used a hole saw for the bed rails. I had the sides cut to size by a local roofing company & took them home & drilled them on my little drill press. Then, I took them back & had them bend the angles for me. It was a lot of fun to build that bed. ~ With the pedals being unequal, it was part where they landed up after adjustment & part formed by me (when I lengthened the pedals) so I could have the brake & gas pedal on the same plane & the clutch higher (for more comfortable articulation of my knee). It's all about personal ergonomics. All my stuff is fixed, including the seat, since I'm the only one that drives it.

20. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Roadster 27. That's it! That's about the closest to my scenerio. Tight, tight, tight! But I now see it can surely be done, as so many of you have proven. Thanks guys for taking the time to posts ideas and pics. I have tried, so many times, to download stuff and this damn site just wont let me. I tried a different browser and I get a "error in download" warning every time. Any suggestions?

21. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

[​IMG]

try google chrome

22. badshifter

badshifter

Your picture files are too big. You have to resize them. Does not matter what browser you are using.

23. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

HTML:

[​IMG]This is my pedal set up currently. I was thinking, if I flip my firewall, it would put more of mt column shaft outside of teh cab and make less of a pedal clearance issue. What do you think?