Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gas pedal and linkage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Jul 23, 2017.

1. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I have been searching and reading about gas pedals and linkage for a couple of days. I have looked at several cars, and several companies. I can build anything I want, but don't have time to do to much, as I'm trying to get my truck done for the drags and have enough to do without taking a week to make stuff work.
    Everything I find I keep coming back to lokar for what I need, and they are proud of there parts($$). I know that there is a fine line between money and time, and I don't want to spend a poop ton of money, or time to get this done, but I do what I have to do.
    I would like to here what you have done or used to get this done, and I will see what works for me. I will build brackets for the intake and mounting where needed. I have a 318, with a holley and performer intake.
    Tony

2. squirrel

squirrel

The shape of the firewall has more to do with how you set up the gas pedal, than anything else.

Pictures will help us help you come up with good ideas.

3. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Here is the fire wall.[​IMG][​IMG]

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

When I had my T Bucket, I used the Speedway peddle assy. from above and used a length of 1/4" brake line for the rod. The rod went from the carb, through the firewall and curved to meet the peddle assy. Took less than an hour to make. I used to use the cable type, but I had the cable fray and leave me at WOT making a turn! That was the end of that shit. I'll NEVER use the cable type again.

6. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Check on Ebay for Chopperspeedshop. They have a Moon replics with the cable, and a chrome spoon type with cable. They look pretty good also.

7. Don't want to wait on I-800 orders try this.

I've used mid 70's/80's mustang but they are getting hard to find, recently I used a Taurus gas pedal on a friends Chevy II project, I was able to go to the local wrecking yard and find one within 20 minutes.

Easy to heat & bend.HRP

$_57.JPG $_57.JPG

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    tfeverfred likes this.
  8. Poh

Poh
    from Quincy,Ca.

Deadlines suck huh.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. lowrd

lowrd

Second vote similar to HRPs solution. Used a Datsun pickup pedal assembly and an old cable from a HD motorcycle, works just fine. Spent more time at the boneyard than it took to install.

10. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

That's the exact pedal I have been looking at. My wife is leaving for 10 days on Wednesday, I don't work any of them days and she stocked the fridge. I don't miss deadlines and I seem to work better with them. This one means a lot to me so I see less sleep and more truck in my future. Not a fan of light beer but if I see ya I will be more than happy to have one with ya. Good luck at the Drags.

36-3window, thanks I just had the first one in my hands at the meltdown drags, a little mad now, but must move on.

hrp, I have a buddy that I might be able to get one of them from, I will look into that.

tfeverfred, like the idea but will it pass safety inspection?

Yep hate deadlines but it seems to be the only way to finish things for me. I thought about doing a build thread when putting it together just not sure if I have time.

Thanks for the input everyone, it all helps.

11. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

I started out with a chrome spoon style pedal from socal, and it was quite delicate in style and form. The splined adjustment feature broke after a short time. I found a lokar spoon style on ebay for about $70. Bought it and it is much more sturdy, search "black lokar gas pedal".

12. BJR

BJR

Go to your local auto recycler and look around. That's where I got mine. Any car before drive by wire is a candidate. Cable ones are much easier to make work to get to the carb then solid linkage.

13. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Ok just got back from friends house with some ford parts, not happy about mixing breads but if it gets it on the road I'm happy. I figure seat belts are needed for racing.[​IMG]