Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gregsmy, Jan 28, 2020.

1. squirrel

squirrel

I just have normal liability insurance on my old cars. No driving restrictions. And I have to fix or replace them myself if I screw up and cause a wreck, etc.

Sent from my Trimline

Baumi and upspirate like this.
  2. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

I haven't checked into the insurance yet and thats an important thing I need to find out about. I will contact my agent and see whats available. I have read some posts on here about different companies and problems with them.

upspirate likes this.
  3. I used to drive my '64 panel daily, 230 with a o/d (3 on the tree). Only let me down once due to a cheap center support bearing. I have full coverage on all the cars now as this is the only way to get theft coverage here (some sit outside). That said you have you to be one with the car and understand all of it's moans and groans to catch something before it becomes a problem. You also need to check things out every other weekend (or weekly depends on the miles driven). My '47 will be good for a daily once I do some swapping (rear end and trans mainly), I wouldn't hesitate to drive it daily now if I wanted to get up 45 min earlier....which I don't.

At least here for a daily it either needs to be inside a garage or have a functioning defrost and time to get warm enough to work.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the thing about gas mileage on old cars is you can make up whatever number you want and impress all your buddies. had a buddy with a 48 Chevy that got 20 MPG and it didn't even have an odometer. that my friends, is a mathematical genius right there.

Jalopy Joker and squirrel like this.
  5. slickscustoms

slickscustoms

I drive a 1950 Chevy styleline every day rain or shine. I know it’s not a flathead so probly not comparable in gas mileage but I’ll gladly stop and get gas a little more often to be able to drive a nice old car every day. I say buy it and drive the wheels off of it!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

im with you . millage is really not a factor .but I cat waite to get my latest to where I can check and lie about the millage . im hoping for close to 20 with the 235and 3,08 rear but ill bet that don't happen . I know my 64 gmc sucks it up so bad o don't even check with 3 spd and tall gears I had big hopes . not . still my current favorite , weather permitting . kinda like the hog 60 to 80 degrees.other wise I wear out the old lesabre .plus if I get ut off in it I can ram um

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It is what it is, can't make an older design carbureted V8 as efficient as a modern computer controlled EFI engine. What you can do though, is maximize both performance and efficiency, with additional benefits like easy starts hot or cold, smooth idle, clean long burning plugs, reduced cylinder wear, reasonable range on a tank of juice, and crankcase oil that stays sludge free. There's no perfomance benefit to wasting gas out the tailpipe.