Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas Leak Puzzle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsmerc, Nov 11, 2013.

1. oldsmerc

oldsmerc
    from seattle

This has happened twice. I have a 34 with a FI motor and the fuel pump in the tank. I started it today after it sat for about two weeks and noticed gas leaking from the SS braided line. It was dripping from a low spot in the line. I checked with my hand and it was wet towards the tank and dry towards the motor. There is a fitting in the line near the tank and there is no sign of leak there. I turned it off and put a jar to catch the gas getting about an inch before it stopped. I concluded it must be the line leaking. I later started it to take it to my shop to remove the line and this time there was no leak. I drove it about 10 miles and let it sit and still no leak. It seems to me that if you have a leak in the line it should continue to leak. HELP!

2. F&J

F&J

Get rid of that stainless braid. It is shit on a street driven car that sees temp and climate cycles, just like the cloth braided fuel lines that the Germans used. It hides any deterioration of the neoprene, and as you have seen, can cause a disaster.

sometimes the minor leak can get worse with temp drops.

3. Not all braided stainless is good. The inner rubber is breaking down from the new fuel. You can buy EFI grade rubber hose and it will stand up to the ethanol .

4. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

I have a 47 Desoto with a refurbished gas tank . I put new gas lines & fittings on everything. It was all good. I then had a muffler shop put a dual exhaust system on it. On the drivers side of the car, shit got really tight. They did a good job of snaking the pipe around everything however, I noticed a gas leak about a day after they were finished. It seems they tweaked the fitting coming out of the tank just enough to cause a small leak. I cobbled it by cleaning it well & packing plumbers putty (the kind you get in a tube & have to kneed to vure & mold it) around it. It's been 6 months & it seems to be holding well. I know this isint a permanent fix but, it's giving me time to find a new tank.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!