Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas gauge reading full...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PR51, Apr 13, 2012.

1. PR51

PR51

Hey guys,
    So I'm finally back on the road after fixing some minor carb and electrical issues... I decided to tackle the gas gauge, I thought it would be as simple as hooking up the ground wire to the tank because it was obviously hanging there disconnected. Well, after connecting it and turning the key my gas gauge jumped to full... ALL the way to full. I started and let it run for a sec in hopes of someting LOL but no change... Do you think the float could be stuck up top or something? I never really filled it up in a long time because the gauge didn't work and I didn't want to not know how much I had in the tank... Normally I just put $5 in it every time I rolled out and since gas prices are $4 a gallon it usually stays pretty low... I was thinking maybe after a nice top off it might loosen up... Any help or suggestions all welcomed.
    thanks,
    Larry

=========================================
    (((Thanks)))
    Problem solved LOL.... Turns out it was not grounding properly. I made sure I had it bolted back up tight and she's reading 3/4 tank when I turn the key... More than I thought I had but obviously it's reading now.
    thanks for all the help, I know it's simple stuff to you guys usually but it makes a world of difference to get an outside perspective from people who have experience.
    Now time to tackle that noisy speedo! Or maybe take a ride on this beautiful Day! LOL
    Larry

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I think you still have a connection problem, ground or wire from gauge to sender

3. cederholm

cederholm

x2:d

4. PR51

PR51

hmm... you think maybe near the gauge at the dash? I need to get back there anyways to stop my speedo from making so much noise.... forgive my newbie question but is there an easy way to get them off like: do they pop off or do I have to get behind there some how and unscrew from the back?
    thnx

5. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Make sure the gas tank is grounded. If it went all the way to full when powered up with the sender wire connected the wire seems good.

6. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

One wire only at the sending unit? If yes, then the unit is supposed to ground via the tank to body connection or via the fuel line. I found out the latter the hard way - replaced a section of steel line with rubber and lost the ground and it pegged my tank 'full' - dropped the tank, scabbed a ground wire to the sending unit screws and connected it to the trunk pan...now it's fine.

7. check for continuity on the wire from gauge to sender

8. PR51

PR51

Maybe my tank is not grounding... I only have one bracket holding it in place now so I'll go tighten it back up and check it out. thnx... all the info is appreciated and I'm soaking it up.

9. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Scrape a spot to clean metal on the gas tank and the frame. Strip both ends of a piece of wire long enough to go between the two spots and have someone watch the guage with the ignition on while you touch the bare wire ends to the clean metal spots. If the guage comes down from full you found the culprit.

10. Are you sure the wire you connected was a ground or was it to the sending unit?
    If you only have one wire back there it's probably for the sending unit.

11. deto

deto

The sending units dont have a ground if I remember correctly. Only a sender wire. Its reading the resistance through the ground of the car the way you have it now. Is the wire yellow or pink?

12. X2
    If only one wire, most definitely to/from the guage/sender.

13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

drop the tank and check it out. what's it on?

14. PR51

PR51

Problem solved LOL.... Turns out it was not grounding properly. I made sure I had it bolted back up tight and she's reading 3/4 tank when I turn the key... More than I thought I had but obviously it's reading now.
    thanks for all the help, I know it's simple stuff to you guys usually but it makes a world of difference to get an outside perspective from people who have experience.
    Larry

15. PR51

PR51

Now time to tackle that noisy speedo! Or maybe take a ride on this beautiful Day! LOL

16. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

The sender is on the ground side of the gas gauge circuit, taking the wire from the gauge to ground will take the gauge to full. You probably have a 0-30 ohm sender, so you can use an ohmeter to check if the sender is working. And the sender has to be grounded to complete the circuit.