Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gary Essman

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Michelle Essman Carls, Mar 3, 2016.

1. He was the driver of most of the cars on here. He had his own dragster later so I guess you would call that a company car we had hugger orange blazers and Chevy trucks, later he was driving a red dodge hemi trucks and jeeps oh yeah I forgot about the EL Camino and my Mom's pinto back in the day . I hated that thing we didn't have it very long

Sent from my SM-G900P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. One of the H.A.M.B members found the Monkey Moron car my Dad drove the first pic has been refurbished the second pic is mine [​IMG][​IMG]

3. My Dad in [​IMG]Modern Rod magazine 1965 edition

4. After my Dad passed my Mom cleared out his work desk . In his desk between his business books he used she found a old hard covered folder that was yellowed from age which she didn't know was there . When opening the folder she found memories from when he raced and people who were special to him in his life she was surprised to find it . I'm going to show you what was in his folder some of the friendships he had for a life time even tho they may not talk for years they always picked up right where they left off some friendships were broken and he wished for the friendship could be back the way it was before my Dad was a very forgiving man and I know he took it to heart up to the sudden day he passed here are some of the things in his folder . Some of the pics you have seen because we had copies of a few of them [​IMG]

5. [​IMG]

6. chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  7. chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  8. chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  9. The Frank Sandoval anf his brothers . Jim Miles and articles above of him a Larry Bowers and the owners of some of the dragsters he raced and his own dragster was very special to him [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  10. [​IMG]

mad mikey likes this.
  11. chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  12. I'm sorry if some of the pics are doubled I must of done something wrong that is the end of his folder [​IMG]

13. The next two papers were not in the pages of his folder but were placed in it . He printed them out in 2011 [​IMG][​IMG]

14. saltracer219

saltracer219

Does anyone know if the poster of the engine explosion is still available or where to get one? I have done a search and had no luck. Thanks, G.....

15. Fantastic stuff Michelle. Drag race history at its BEST!:D:D

SS327 and Michelle Essman Carls like this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Got that right Mikey!
    Michelle, I know you originally came hear seeking help, but you have to know that I think you have given us much more in return.
    Keep after it.
    BTW, for your dad to have occupied the long list of cars that he shoed, he was no doubt a "natural" at it.

17. I'm not sure if there is a poster

18. oj

oj

Michelle, thank you so much for doing this thread. It's a hard read, stuff kept getting in my eyes or something. If there is a poster it should be the one of your Dad and the Sandoval Brothers hunkered around the fueler on the trailer, just some kids figuring things out and trying to go fast. Fantastic photograph.

19. saltracer219

saltracer219

Some years ago there was a poster of this available, I will try to research this further and let you know, G.....

Michelle Essman Carls likes this.
  20. My Uncle Frank would like that , I'm telling you 18yrs ago I went with my Dad and my son a todler then we were visting from Tx we went to go visit him at a job site he was a welder He told my Dad Gary I have a drawing of a new dragster come on lets build it my Dad was saying where are we going to come up with that kind of money Frank ? It's way to much now days . Anyways my Dad and my Uncle Frank and his brothers they would find any way possiable to tweek it just to make it go a little bit faster and they did one time go faster than anybody else there was a article about it I saw on the internet many years ago and I can't find it now

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    chryslerfan55, mad mikey and oj like this.
  21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

terrific racing history

22. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Incredible photos and history Michelle! Thanks for posting!

Below is a link to the wonderful "Les Dragsters" video that Ryan had posted some time back - it got bumped today, watched it again and the Magic Muffler Fiat is shown in the pits at about the 55 second mark, and again at the starting line at 7 minutes or so. Is your dad one of the men taking the nose off the car in the pit shot?

http://www.ina.fr/video/CPF04008049/les-dragsters-video.html

chryslerfan55 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Phillips, Thanks for link - terrific film at iconic Lion's Drag Strip

24. It will not let me view it on my phone . I will try the computer later. Thank you

25. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Credit goes to the boss, he posted it back in 2010!

27. Phillips my Dad wasn't in the 50 or so mark buy yes that was him racing at the 7 min mark . Thank you very much ! It looked like a test run. It means a lot to me to see him on video

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  28. rascal55

rascal55

Thanks for the trip back in time !!

29. Have a couple more pictures one of the H.A.M.B members found for me of my Dad . I want to thank you guys for helping me find more history on my Dad and pictures and video I haven't seen before . You guys have been such gentlemen to me helping me with more knowledge of the racing back in those days from the time before I was born when he raced and then being young not remembering a lot when my Dad was racing . All of this has brought me and the kids and especially his grandsons know so much more about when there Grandpa was racing he didn't tell them a lot about his racing he would talk about it here and there but not much detail . He would talk more about it in the racing they do today in the NHRA and how he would like to get back in the dragster they race today.. My sons first toys from my Dad was dragsters he would get at the vendor boths at the races in Vegas [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016