Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gary Essman

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Michelle Essman Carls, Mar 3, 2016.

1. My Dad Gary Essman drove for Fuel Altereds and dragsters in Southeren California in the 60's and 70"s he suddenly passed away in Oct 2015 . I wanted to share some of his pictures with the race car community fec25fd4-6a2b-45c0-a49e-8e86f8898f1b.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    chryslerfan55, tommyd, rab71 and 15 others like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - more pics, info?

Michelle Essman Carls likes this.
  3. [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. I just posted more pictures . My Dad raced many cars . He was one of the drivers for the Magic Muffler flat car

chryslerfan55 and tommyd like this.
  5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - must have been a very good driver to handle those race cars. have any stories about you being at tracks with him?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    tommyd and Michelle Essman Carls like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

duplicate post?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Learning to use the forum and how to post I'm new at it . I was trying to put it on one thread. I did it by mistake not sure how to delete it and have just one post.

reagen likes this.
  8. Moderators, Please combine Michelle's two threads into one.:D..Same excellent subject matter, she just didn't know (being a newby) how to put it into one thread....Hopefully one of the mods will see this, Michelle, and clean it up.

9. Thank you for thr help

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. reagen

reagen

Thanks for the pics

11. Cool thread. Thanks for posting

12. ............................Don't know if it will help or not. We'll see.:)

Michelle Essman Carls likes this.
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

still need more info & pics

14. My dad at Lyons Speedway 1965 driving the Magic Muffler car . I have been told by my mother who passed out on the drag way after the explosion it was a fireball mess. The most important thing about this situation was he walked away from it with little injury. [​IMG]

15. [​IMG]

16. Now THAT is a picture!!

17. Wow!! Your dad was fearless! Would very much like to hear more about him. Any thing you wouldlike to share would be great. That is one of the most ICONIC pics in drag racing history, and a car I have liked seens I was a little kid. Sorry to here of the lose of your dad.

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

The engine from that day
    [​IMG]

19. There are more pictures of him if you scroll back in the thread. He was a dare devil and always the need for speed after racing he hobbied in flying airplanes, helicopters and we owned some really fast boats he would race with friends. I was the only child and being a girl he said racing wasn't a place for girls to be. My oldest son his gradson is 20 now was interested in racing but the cost is way to expensive now days he would tell him but I think part of it he was afraid of something happening to him .

20. Wow where did you get that picture?

21. Like Ken Schrader always said, "Something broke and I think it was something important".:D

22. Not in a million years. Jeeezez. Give us a break!
    Looks a LOT like a modern billet aluminum FC motor, not to mention the modern FC chassis in the background!
    Please!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

SS327, tommyd, saltracer219 and 3 others like this.
  23. I'm glad you said that Gary because it looked to new to me by the picture and it's been a really long time since i have seen a race engine pulled out of a car

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  24. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

I agree, though the background car is a dragster. ;)

25. LOL! If nothing else, just go back and compare the connecting rods between those two pictures. :eek:

Jet96 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  26. YEA!!! That is not the engine from the fiat. I posted that pic weeks ago on another thread on engines.

wingnutz and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. The restored car. IMG_1256.jpg IMG_1272.jpg